We've seen CrossFire really blossom since the launch of the HD 6000 series with just some insane performance gains being seen from these new single GPU cards. When throwing in a second card we're seeing gains that sometimes equate to almost double the performance. Considering that you can't really expect any more than that, it's really amazing to see AMD really put huge amounts of effort into the improvement of this technology.
Moving to more than two GPUs has never yielded the same performance increases. The HD 5970 as good as a card it was, when you went down the path of two the performance was really quite uneventful. Sure, there were pieces of shining light here and there, but on a whole it was a tough recommendation to go down the four GPU path.
So with all these performance improvements with the latest generation of cards from AMD, how does that translate with the new dual GPU beast from AMD which when in CrossFireX carries with it four GPUs?
With the help of our second HD 6990 from AMD we're going to find out exactly what's going on today. Because it's a reference card, we'll just have a quick look at the card itself as there's no package. Then we'll just quickly run over the specifications.
Of course, you're not really seeing anything here that you didn't see from the Sapphire version with the fan in the middle of the card blowing onto two Vapor Chamber coolers. The card is powered by two 8-Pin PCI-E power connectors and we've got our single CrossFire connector and BIOS switch that enables "AUSUM" mode. Connectivity comes in the form of four mini DisplayPort connectors and a single Dual-Link DVI.
Because our time with this HD 6990 is quite limited and it really has to do the rounds, we thought we'd just crank the card into AUSUM mode which means our core comes in at 880MHz instead of 830MHz which you can see below.
As for the 4GB of RAM, that comes in at 5GHz and the most important piece of information here is the CrossFire tab which shows us that the technology is indeed enabled, and in this case is running 4 GPUs.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, The Card and Specifications]
- Page 2 [Test System Setup and 3DMark 11]
- Page 3 [3DMark Vantage]
- Page 4 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Temperature Test]
- Page 15 [Sound Test]
- Page 16 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 17 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 18 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 19 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 takes 5 minutes to load on PS4
- Blizzard working on new mobile games
- GALAX GTX 1080 Ti EXOC White: dual-slot GTX 1080 Ti
- The Division receives loadout feature in PTR patch
- CliffyB: AAA games in a 'weird spot', VR in '80s' period
- Intel Optane Memory 32GB M.2 NVMe SSD Review
- ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 K6 USB 3.1/TB Issues
- HyperX Pulsefire FPS Gaming Mouse Review
- Hidrate Spark 2.0 Bluetooth Smart Bottle Review
- Asus MCE remote IR codes required
- SAPPHIRE introduces new PULSE graphics card family
- HyperX Cloud Revolver S gaming headset now shipping
- SK Hynix introduces industry's fastest 8Gb graphics DRAM (GDDR6)
- Samsung and Amazon Video deliver next generation HDR video experience with updated open standard HDR10+
- AmpliFi HD Mesh Wi-Fi Available at Best Buy, GameStop and Sam's Club