After testing the GTX 580 at stock clocks there's clearly a little bit of a love hate relationship going on with the card. The one thing you can't take away from it is the performance that it offers out of the box.
Considering you've essentially got the performance of two slightly overclocked GTX 460s in not just a single PCI-E card, but more importantly a single GPU card, is nothing short of fantastic.
Low stock, though, and a high price tag is no doubt going to be a turn off for most people. Today, though, we try and add some extra value to the card with the help of MSIs own Afterburner software to see what happens when we overclock this bad boy.
Since we've already looked at the card, we won't go into any detail on it. Instead we'll just have a look at what clock speeds we ended up with and then get stuck into the performance of the card at the said clock speeds.
As we mentioned, we used MSI Afterburner and proceeded to bump the voltage up to give us some more room on the core. From the stock 772MHz Core we ended up with a nice round sounding 900MHz.
That in turn pushed the Shader clock to 1800MHz. As for the memory, we rounded that off to 4200MHz QDR. Not a huge gain on the memory, but that extra core speed should yield with it a nice performance increase.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Overclocking]
- Page 2 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 3 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Final Fantasy XIV]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - PhysX Tests]
- Page 15 [Temperature Test]
- Page 16 [Sound Test]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 19 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 20 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.