The performance you're getting out of a $300 US setup here is just amazing and considering that the GTX 460 is well into the $200 US price bracket, running a pair of these in SLI is a very worthwhile setup.
Something else that's fantastic about these mid range SLI setups is that while they're not as fast as a GTX 480 SLI setup, you don't run into the same problems with CPU limitation being an issue, so you can really get the most out of the cards, and really get some amazing performance.
The price of the Galaxy GTS 450 Super OC combined with the effort that NVIDIA has put in on the scaling of SLI means that this is again another weapon of a setup. For the past six months when people would talk about CrossFire HD 5770s, people would ask why? Why not just buy a HD 5850? or HD 5870? In the end the latter cards offered a much better all round deal. The GTX 460 and GTS 450 in SLI aren't like that; it's a fantastic option when compared to buying a card like the GTX 470 and GTX 480.
NVIDIA has now shown its hand when it comes to the mid-range market and we've been told that AMD has its eyes firmly set on the GTX 460 when it starts launching the HD 6000 series from October. A single card setup is only going to paint part of the picture. Unless AMD can offer a card for similar prices that perform much better, or scale considerably better than they do at the moment, AMD could continue to be in trouble when it comes to performance users who don't have the budget to buy GTX 480s and HD 5970s.
The massive price difference between the GTX 460 and GTS 450 make this SLI setup something to consider, especially when you consider the fact that we've looked at cards that retail for around $15 US less, which would bring an SLI setup to around $270 US; a price that really isn't all that much higher than the GTX 460.
AMD seem to think the HD 5770 is a safe card, as compared to a stock GTS 450 it continues to win, but it's more expensive. Partners are clearly interested in overclocking the model, but the HD 5770s overclocking potential isn't nearly as strong and two HD 5770s in CrossFire seems like a bit of a waste of money; a perception that's not being seen with these new mid range 400 series cards from NVIDIA.
Adding a second card into the mix is game changing. You're talking about a card that blitzes through just about anything now at 1680 x 1050 with maximum image quality, and a setup that can easily play a lot of games at 2560 x 1600. You've also got a setup that allows Surround Vision and if you look at three 1680 x 1050 monitors which offer only about 25% more strain on the GPUs versus a single output at 2560 x 1600, it's clear that you're going to be able to run games at 5040 x 1050 with few dramas, if not the only problem being you might have to move from Very High image quality to High or Medium in some cases.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Setup]
- Page 2 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 3 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Final Fantasy XIV]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - PhysX Tests]
- Page 15 [Temperature Test]
- Page 16 [Sound Test]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 19 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 20 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.