Introduction of the HIS R9 280 IceQ X2 OC 3GB
The other day we had a chance to look at the R9 280 again. This one in particular was from GIGABYTE, and during our review, we found ourselves a lot more enthusiastic about the model than when we first saw it from Sapphire at launch. Overall, the model wasn't bad, but it was let down by one simple thing: the MSRP that AMD had set for the product. Against the likes of the R9 280X 3GB, the price point that AMD had set just seemed ridiculous.
More recently, we saw AMD push the price of the model down, and now they're making a second push on the model, hopeful that initial thoughts on the model can be changed. Our fresh look at the GIGABYTE WINDFORCE OC version of the card really changed our overall thoughts on the model. GIGABYTE had done a great job overclocking the card, and the new price point set for the model is much more attractive.
Now we've got another R9 280 on our hands, with this particular version coming from HIS. Today we're going to take a slightly different approach to the card. Instead of testing it at out of the box clocks, we'll be increase the clock speeds ourselves to see just what kind of performance we're able to get out of the model.
The model already looks a lot better after we reevaluated it with the GIGABYTE version, and we're hoping that HIS helps to keep the trend going with strong overclocking performance. The IceQ X2 series of cards from HIS hasn't let us down yet, and we're hoping it continues to impress us today. So, let's see exactly what's going on with the HIS R9 280 IceQ X2 OC 3GB.
Package - What comes inside the box
Looking at the front of the box, you can see the overall design is very similar to the packaging of other IceQ X2 based cards we've looked at. The HIS logo is featured across the top of the box, along with icons indicating that the card is "Cooler" and "Quieter." The IceQ X2 logo is in the center, while across the bottom we've have the iTurbo information, a look at the cooler, and the model information. We also have some of the main features listed here, which include 3GB GDDR5, and 4K support.
On the rear of the box, HIS goes into some of the features of the cooler, like the cooler's four heat pipes, and the IceQ X2 cooling technology. Below that information, there are some details regarding the power features, including the Dynamic Phase Control PWM IC, the Full Solid-State Capacitors, and the Solid-State Choke. Everything is rounded off with some of the key AMD features that are bought to the table.
Inside of the box, we've got a typical HIS bundle, which includes a Driver CD, an Installation Guide, and a Case Sticker. A DVI to VGA connector is included to round things off.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Video Card Details and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup & FPS Numbers Explained]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Sky Diver & Catzilla]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven & Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2 & Just Cause 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks -Metro: Last Light & Nexuiz]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2 & Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Hitman: Absolution & Tomb Raider]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite & Battlefield 4]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - GRID Autosport]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - 4K - 3840 x 2160 Testing]
- Page 15 [Temperature & Sound Testing]
- Page 16 [Power Consumption Testing]
- Page 17 [Pricing, Availability, and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Get Trained (and Certified) in Cloud Computing for $39
- Take to the campaign trail with The Political Machine 2016
- Rise of the Tomb Raider's latest patch improves HBAO+, and more
- Twitter has shut down over 125,000 accounts for promoting terrorism
- Google AI, Go champ match will be broadcast live on YouTube in March
- [SSD compatibility question] GA-X58A-UD3R with Samsung EVO Pro SSD
- I am the new guy
- The Hateful Eight (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- SSD compatibility
- ASrock z170 extreme 7+ Post code 00
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to IntelÃ'Â® Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance