One of the most difficult tasks for remote branch offices is timely diagnosis and correction of problems with server equipment. Most remote offices do not have IT personnel assigned to the location, so any loss of computing functionality immediately results in prolonged downtime. This automatically incurs cost due to lost productivity, while the slow process of returning the system to usability begins. Recovery often requires dispatching an IT professional to the remote location to begin troubleshooting and repair the problem. A physical visit from an IT professional is also required to conduct routine maintenance and other tasks.
Every moment spent reporting the problem, and attempts at walking branch personnel through simple recovery tasks, only adds to the organizations' lost time. Transit time and availability of the IT professional also increases the amount of time required to resolve the issue. Repairs follow a diagnosis of the issue, and if the correct equipment is not among the tools the IT technician brings along, another cycle of waiting begins as parts are acquired to remedy the situation.
Remotely managing the varied equipment deployed into branch locations saves time and money, and that is where the Lantronix SLB steps in. The Lantronix provides remote management capabilities for a laundry list of equipment, including servers, routers, switches, firewalls, VPNs, PBX and UPS systems. The SLB provides eight secure console management connections to manage the devices through the serial ports.
The dual-purpose Lantronix SLB comes in a slim 19" 1U package. The Lantronix SLB has eight remotely switched power outlets that can measure and log outlet current for energy monitoring purposes. The SLB also features dual AC inputs for failover and redundancy. Combining the power distribution and management functionality within one hybrid device eliminates the need for multiple solutions, providing a more economical solution in terms of price, power, ease of management, and space.
There are a disparate number of use cases for the Lantronix SLB, from branch offices to campus environments. The console provides a secure connection suitable for use in banking, finance, insurance, healthcare, retail sales, hospitality, and education deployments. Dual Ethernet ports and an out-of-band connection (Local terminal, USB Modem, or Internal Modem) provide two methods of connection for remote management.
The front panel LCD and keypad provides an easy means to setup the network and monitor outlet status while onsite. The SLB only requires 30 Watts for its own operation, which helps in power-constrained environments. The design is resilient and can handle the high-heat environments often found in equipment closets with limited air conditioning.
Our TweakTown lab consists of several networking components and servers we use to conduct testing on the latest storage products. The combined functionality of power management and remote management in the 1U profile allows us to maximize space, manage the components, and deliver power to the entire server rack. Testing enterprise storage products involves tests that span days for one device. We often have multiple servers testing various products at any given time, and test time is at a premium on our test platforms.
Covering the enterprise storage market also requires plenty of travel, which does not mesh well with our limited system time and tight testing schedules. We deployed the Lantronix SLB to manage our entire server rack while away from the lab, and the ease of use and vast management capabilities of the Lantronix SLB allows us to continue testing and monitor equipment during our travels. This has greatly increased productivity and we can continue working from anywhere on the globe. The Lantronix SLB has proven to be a great addition to the lab, so let's take a closer look at the SLB and its features.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo NX will launch with a 'full software lineup'
- Apple stock is tanking, with large investor pulling his money out
- PC gaming continues to make more money than consoles
- NVIDIA to unveil next-gen GeForce on the same day as Battlefield 5
- NVIDIA's next-gen video cards will be available at retail in June
- Six Windows Applications Free Pack
- Creative Sound Blaster Roar Pro Bluetooth Portable Speaker Review
- Thecus N5810 Consumer NAS Review
- Cold double post on Z77X-UD5H
- Lian Li PC-X510 question about resonance sound
- ASRock and Intel teams up to create one of the smallest mini PCs: DeskMini
- Sapphire launches Radeon Pro Duo for ultimate VR & 4K experience
- Seagate now shipping 10TB helium enterprise drive in volume
- ENERMAX announces the new DFR technology with D.F.PRESSURE
- World's first 24/7 esports TV channel launched