Introduction of the MSI GTX 780 6GB Twin Frozr Gaming OC
Coming off of a solid run of Z97 motherboards, we have to slowly push the pile aside for a week and check out some of the video cards that have arrived. This time, I do find myself more excited than normal, though, as I prepare to do a couple of video card articles. The other day when we got a chance to check out the Sapphire R9 290 4GB Tri-X OC, you may have noticed that it's the first time that a 4K monitor had been used in our video card reviews.
This wasn't just a one off; instead, it was the start to the latest resolution being introduced into our future video card reviews. Adding 3840 x 2160 benchmarking into the mix helps put more stress on our setups. With four times the number of pixels of a standard 1920 x 1080 screen, this one monitor places more load on your system setup than a three screen Eyefinity or Surround Vision setup.
That's enough about our new 4K monitor. Today, we're going to be looking at a GTX 780 from our friends over at MSI. This one comes as part of the Twin Frozr Gaming series and is overclocked out of the box. While we'll be overclocking the card even further today, the big stand out for this particular model is the fact it carries with it 6GB of GDDR5 instead of the standard 3GB.
It's going to be interesting to see how the extra memory affects our overclocking. We'll hopefully continue to get a strong overclock out of the model. Before we find out just exactly how the MSI GTX 780 6GB Twin Frozr Gaming OC did, we need to check out what's going on with the package.
Package - What comes inside the box
Taking a look at the box, we don't see anything out of the ordinary as we've already seen a number of Twin Frozr cards under the Gaming series name. We've got the dragon, model, and series on the front, and in the bottom left corner, you can see the card is an "OC Edition."
Turning the box over, you can see that some of the main features of the card are explained in more detail. The two big ones here are, of course, the Military Class 4 components that bring Hi-c and Solid Capacitors to the card for better power quality.
The other big one is the Twin Frozr IV Advanced cooler, which helps drop both noise and temperature levels. You can also see support for the MSI Gaming App, which brings with it the ability to adjust the card to three different presents, including OC, Gaming, and Silent.
Moving inside the bundle, you can see there's not a whole lot going on; the standard quick user guide and driver CD are present. Alongside those, we've got a DVI to VGA connector along with two power connectors. One is a dual Molex to 6-Pin PCIe power connector, while the other is a 6-Pin to 8-Pin PCIe power connector.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Video Card Details and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup & FPS Numbers Explained]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven & Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks – Lost Planet 2 & Just Cause 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks – F1 2012 & Metro Last Light]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks – Dirt Showdown & Nexuiz]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks – Sniper Elite V2 & Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks – Hitman Absolution & Tomb Raider]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks – BioShock Infinite & Battlefield 4]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks – 4K – 3840 x 2160 Testing]
- Page 14 [Temperature & Sound Testing]
- Page 15 [Power Consumption Testing]
- Page 16 [Pricing, Availability, and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Security experts say Australia is a very easy hacker target
- Microsoft looks to clear its Surface, offers $500AU off for Aussies
- Microsoft's Nokia 230 is here and it's $55
- Law student caught trying to hack and change his marks for the better
- Black Friday, $500 off Eurocom laptop with Desktop i7 CPU and GTX 980
- ID-Cooling Frostflow 240L CPU Liquid Cooler Review
- Lexar JumpDrive M20i 32GB OTG iOS Flash Drive Review
- Gibabyte GA-Z170X- Gaming 7 Supported RAM (2 x16Gb or 4 x 8GB) ?
- heya! PC-A10 case parts?
- Enermax ETS-T40fit CPU Coolers Review
- Team Group Announces Neptune Gaming SO-DIMM Memory
- Cooltek Announces the Skall Series ATX Mid-tower Chassis
- Eurocom offers $500 USD off Black Friday & Cyber Monday deal for EUROCOM Sky X9 Desktop Laptop with Intel Skylake desktop class CPUs and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Desktop GPU and 64 GB DDR4 memory
- MSI @ DREAMHACK WINTER 2015
- ADATA Releases the Lightning Card Reader