Introduction of the MSI R9 280X 6GB Twin Frozr Gaming OC
MSI has always done a good job of us impressing us with their line of video cards. They continue to have some of the best series on the market and really do cater for every kind of user with everything from extremely quiet cards to some of the best overclocking cards in the world thanks to their Lightning series.
Today, the card we're looking at is part of the popular Twin Frozr Gaming series. The Twin Frozr name has been around for as long as we can remember, and last year, we saw the company introduce the Gaming title into the name. With a new color scheme and a partnering with FNATIC, we have seen the new series offer some excellent motherboards and video cards since its inception.
Today, the particular model we're looking at is part of the popular R9 series. The R9 280X is a model that, like almost the whole AMD R series line up, has impressed us since launch. Having seen companies attack the model in many ways, we're looking forward to seeing what MSI brings to the table today with its Twin Frozr Gaming version.
The big stand out, though, on this particular version of the R9 280X is the fact that MSI has doubled the memory to a massive 6GB. It will be interesting to see if that does anything for performance.
Package - What comes inside the box
Taking a look at the box, you can see we've got the normal Twin Frozr Gaming setup going on with a black and red color scheme and the dragon on the front. You can see the model and the series on the front of the box along with mention that the card is an OC Edition and carries with it the Twin Frozr IV cooler.
Turning the box over, you can see we've got a description of some of the main features, including an expansion on the Twin Frozr IV cooler and information on the Military Class 4 components, which includes Hi-C and Solid Capacitors.
Moving inside the box, you can see we've got the normal Quick User Guide and driver CD. You can also see a leaflet on the Hybrid BIOS that is offered via the switch. It shows the benefits of using the Legacy or Hybrid BIOS. The latter isn't supported on all systems, though.
In the cable department, you can see a DVI to VGA connector, CrossFire bridge, mini DP to DisplayPort connector, and dual Molex to 6-Pin PCIe and 6-Pin PCIe to 8-Pin PCIe power connectors.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Video Card Details and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup & FPS Numbers Explained]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven & Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2 & Just Cause 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - F1 2012 & Metro Last Light]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown & Nexuiz]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2 & Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution & Tomb Raider]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite & Battlefield 4]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 13 [Temperature & Sound Testing]
- Page 14 [Power Consumption Testing]
- Page 15 [Pricing, Availability, and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- UK debuts its 'UK Against ISIL' social media account
- Phiaton launches PS 202 NC active noise cancellation earphones
- Famed astronaut Buzz Aldrin shares his 'master plan' for Mars
- LG partners with REEDS Jewelers for the LG Watch Urbane Luxe
- Report: Prior to breach, no one wanted to purchase Ashley Madison
- H97 boards, graphics cards and CPUs running hotter than on Z97 boards
- New network adapter making graphics card fail.
- x99 Extreme 4/3.1 Red Light + No Display
- Build Advice End of 2015 ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1
- X99 Extreme 6ac eSATA
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20