My avid readers will likely remember when I was looking for a chassis for a build I had in mind for the lady of the house. With this build I went with a Micro-ATX motherboard, which will go in a lot of cases, but my real struggle was to find a chassis that would take an H220 with a push/pull fan configuration. Some cases will offer this possibility, but the reality is that most at that time would only allow this if you had low profile memory, and even then the water cooling would block the view of the top of the motherboard as well.
This is when we caught wind of the ACR Midi R2, a mid-tower that offers enough flexibility, that even though I had to give up the HDD bays, I was able to get the H220 into the front without any issues. It also filled my desire for something rounded in the front, and while I was looking for an aluminum chassis initially, the look of aluminum used on the bezel was close enough for me to move to steel and plastic.
So where does that leave us today? Well, wishing that the chassis we are about to see had released first, as we get much of the same design the ARC Midi R2 offers, in a much more compact form. Of course, there were original incarnations of these designs that have since been discontinued, but at that time we were not sampling from Fractal Design yet. Without actually seeing the original designs, I had to do a bit of homework to figure out exactly what the changes were.
What I am finding is that there is a new fan controller in the new design, and there is now a thumbscrew to remove the top. Also, not only are the storage drive bays completely removable, but the ODD bays are also installed with screws this time around for easy removal, and maximizing space inside for a chassis that can now house a pair of 240mm radiators in the top and front of the chassis.
Not much has changed when looking at things in a broader sense, but we can say this: Fractal Design is offering a chassis that we not only think will be a huge success to air coolers who prefer to use smaller motherboards for a gaming system, but will also open doors to a lot of those users who wanted to add water cooling, but can't fit their needs in a small form factor chassis and also do not want to step up to a mid-tower chassis. In today's offices, space is a premium commodity, so why have a chassis with twenty-five percent of its space that is virtually unused, when you could opt for the Fractal Design ARC Mini R2, and solve all of your needs at once.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- CyberPowerPC's new Ryzen PCs: from $983 up to $2399
- AMD's cheaper Ryzen 5/Ryzen 3 CPUs should launch in Q2
- AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4GHz, 1800X performance for $329
- NVIDIA has 70.5% GPU market share, AMD has 29.5%
- AMD Radeon RX 580 benchmarks leaked, is this Vega?
- BIOSTAR RACING B250GT5 Unboxing and User Experience
- ASUS MAXIMUS IX FORMULA A2 Error Code with Hardware Component Failure Beeps
- Does anyone from Thermaltake view this forum anymore?
- Is any one from Thermaltake viewing this forum anymore?
- Lian Li A61 5.25 devices
- ASRock launches a new era of performance with AMD Ryzen motherboards
- Nintendo eShop, Indie Games Ready for Nintendo Switch Launch
- Innovation and competition return to high-performance PCs March 2nd with worldwide AMD Ryzen 7 availability
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications