We've really been impressed with what AMD has done with the new R series of video cards. It's not just the performance of the new models, but the price the company has hit at with them and just the general amount of features that are being brought to the table. And while Mantle, one of the major ones isn't being taken full advantage of yet, we look forward to game releases in the next 6 - 12 months to likely show us what these video cards are really capable of with next generation games.
While we've looked at a ton of new models and variations from a number of companies, there's a company that we haven't seen for a while when it comes to video cards. That is of course ASUS and we're so glad to see something from them under the Direct CU II TOP name, a series that has always impressed us with some strong overclocking performance and fantastic cooling numbers.
Due to the fact that we've already taken a look at a number of R series cards already and ASUS always having a strong name when it comes to cooling performance, we've decided to go down the overclocking path today with the ASUS R9 280X DirectCU II TOP 3GB OC.
Before we cover the overclocking side of things, though, the first thing we need to do is take a closer look at the card itself. Let's start off with the bundle and see just what ASUS is doing these days, before we take a closer look at the card to see just what this latest ASUS model is all about.
Taking a look at the box, you can see we've really got a ton of information being shown. The front of the box gives us some of the main details including the model, amount of RAM and some of the core features including DIGI VRM Super Alloy Power.
Turning over we get a broader explanation on the DirectCU II cooler, DIGI+ VRM technology and GPU Tweak overclocking software. We also get our first look at the card and the connectivity that is offered.
Moving inside the bundle, you can see not much is going on at all. We can see just a driver CD and a manual is included. Also included as far as we can tell, but not seen here is a CrossFire bridge. The reason for not having it here could be due to the fact we got the sample a little early. Looking at the Newegg website, though, it looks like one does come with the card.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Fire Strike]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Metro Last Light]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution]
- Page 17 [Benchmarks - Tomb Raider]
- Page 18 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite]
- Page 19 [Benchmarks - Battlefield 4]
- Page 20 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 21 [Temperature Test]
- Page 22 [Sound Test]
- Page 23 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 24 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Get Trained (and Certified) in Cloud Computing for $39
- Take to the campaign trail with The Political Machine 2016
- Rise of the Tomb Raider's latest patch improves HBAO+, and more
- Twitter has shut down over 125,000 accounts for promoting terrorism
- Google AI, Go champ match will be broadcast live on YouTube in March
- [SSD compatibility question] GA-X58A-UD3R with Samsung EVO Pro SSD
- I am the new guy
- The Hateful Eight (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- SSD compatibility
- ASrock z170 extreme 7+ Post code 00
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to IntelÃ'Â® Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance