What a difference one-process node makes. However, the Crucial M500 240GB does in fact still suffer from low write speeds, compared to other products on the market. The 240GB model does double the performance offered by the 120GB model, but it's not like Crucial has the only SSD on the market. Products from other manufactures don't have the same issue, even those with IMFT 20nm flash. The difference is in the controller, mainly Team SandForce manufactures, which are taking advantage of compressible data performance increases.
We've seen and talked about the mass exodus of companies moving away from IMFT 20nm flash. ADATA used to purchase IMFT die by the wafer and build their own packages, but we're starting to see ADATA SSDs ship with SanDisk flash. This increases the cost quite a bit and when the supply of IMFT runs out, the SX900 and SX910 drives will cost more at the e-tail level.
When the M in IMFT stands for Micron, Crucial's parent company, your hands are tied from using Toshiba/SanDisk Toggle 2.0 flash. Making matters worse, 25nm consumer flash is EOL. This process node is starting to look like a disappointment from many different angles, but Crucial has to just ride it out and hope yields increase, so they can drop the price of the M500. Increasing yields will also allow Crucial to make more 960GB capacity M500 drives.
Maybe stating it publicly will help reduce the number of emails I get. No, I do not know where to get a 960GB M500 for the MSRP. That said, the 960GB M500 is what many people want to purchase, but we're still getting a lot of questions about the 480GB M500. That review will come in a day or two. Stick around and we'll see if the 480GB can shake the slow write speed blues and deliver the performance we've come to expect from Crucial.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Crucial M500 240GB SSD]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - DiskBench]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Power and Thermal Testing]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Join the 'Suicide Squad' in our Blu-ray giveaway
- Netflix will double original show content in 2017
- Nashville moves to dismiss Comcast anti-Fiber lawsuit
- Amazon Go: Grocery shopping with no cash, no lines
- The Last of US 2 being co-written by Westworld writer
- Strontium iDrive Nitro Lightning 64GB Card Reader Review
- Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z170 Fan control & PWM issue
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- Micron accelerates adoption of all-flash data centers with highest-capacity enterprise SATA Solid State Drive
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand