There are several things to consider when shopping for a SSD. The image above shows just one aspect, but for mainstream users, cost is one of the most important factors. Reviewing SSDs when they first launch is both exciting and at the same time problematic. We know SSD prices fall within two months of release, but this drive just hit the scene and we're not sure where the price will land.
Given that the SanDisk Ultra Plus has a very low cost build of materials (BOM) list, four NAND flash chips, single DRAM, single four-channel controller and a very small, price saving PCB, this could be a real contender for the ultra low price market. The problem is SanDisk didn't position the Ultra Plus in that category right from the start. The price is much lower than OCZ Vector and Samsung 840 Pro, but putting this drive in the mix with a hundred LSI SandForce drives isn't a good way to attract buyers, especially mainstream buyers who are just now getting a taste of the technology.
Once we surfed away from Newegg and used Google Shopping the choice became very clear on what we would spend our money on at this time. Ultra Plus tipped up all over around $220, but the SanDisk Extreme 240GB price was as low as $165. I would say $55 is enough of a reason to choose the tried and true Extreme over Ultra Plus.
The Ultra Plus does still have a few features that go beyond the Extreme drive. The first is better incompressible data performance. The second and maybe most important feature for a large number of users is much better battery life in notebooks and ultrabooks.
At this time we really have to say hold off on this drive. The performance is nice, the price not so much. Give it a few weeks and the price should start to drop off - we can't say how low it will actually go, but given the BOM and everything involved, we think Ultra Plus will become the leader in low priced drives. It just isn't there yet. Let's see what happens.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [SanDisk Ultra Plus 256GB SSD]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - BootRacer]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - DiskBench]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Power Testing]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AI to replace over 50% of ALL jobs in the next 10 years
- Acer Predator X27 gaming monitor: 4K, 144Hz, HDR, G-Sync
- Unikrn expands into Vegas, acquires eSports firm LEET
- Nintendo reveals foldable New 2DS XL for $149
- AMD's new Ryzen Balanced Power Plan drivers are here
- GIGABYTE Xtreme Gaming XTC700 CPU Cooler Review
- ASRock 990fx Extreme9 and NVMe support
- HDD to SSD
- Lenovo IdeaCentre Y710 Cube Gaming PC Review
- Synology RT2600ac Wireless Router Review
- Get ready for Intel Optane memory with ASRock 200 series motherboards!
- Acer unleashes the Predator Triton 700, a thin yet powerful gaming notebook without compromise
- Acer's new Predator monitors with quantum dot technology deliver spectacular gameplay experiences
- Acer expands its gaming notebook line with the powerful Predator Helios 300
- Western Digital ships fourth-generation Helium Hard Drive platform with Ultrastar He12 12TB advanced storage hard drives