Specifications, Pricing and Availability
Samsung offers the 840 Pro in four capacity sizes - 64GB, 128GB, 256GB and 512GB. The performance varies between capacity sizes like most MLC SSDs. Today we're focusing on the 840 Pro 128GB and soon the 256GB model review will go live. You may wonder why we're so late with these drives, well I don't think Samsung really liked our 830 128GB review so we just went out and bought these two drives. In Samsung's defense, they planned on sending us drives, but a FUBAR with the firmware on the media drives meant that the North American allocation needed to go back to South Korea for a flash. Then we started testing with our two purchased retail drives and found new firmware issues, MobileMark 2012 would BSOD every time we ran it. Samsung released a new firmware, version DXM04B0Q and it fixed our notebook power test. We're now ready for the review.
Samsung specs the 840 Pro 128GB with a sequential read speed of 530MB/s, sequential write speed of 390MB/s, random read speed of 97K IOPS and finally random write speed of 90K IOPS. Physically, the 840 Pro uses a 7mm z-height form factor so you can use it in an ultrabook. The mounting points are the same as traditional 9.5mm notebook drives so you can use this drive in a notebook or desktop with a desktop adapter bracket (not included).
Samsung does include a five year warranty as well as a very good software package. The Samsung Magician software rivals that from Intel, these two pretty much tie in the software feature department. Samsung takes it up a notch though with the included data migration software. The software ships on an included CD so you don't have to fumble with an internet download to start using the software.
Newegg lists all four 840 Pro capacity sizes at the time of writing, the 64GB model was sold out though. The prices are 64GB for $99.99, 128GB for $149.99, 256GB for $339.99 and the large 512GB for $574.99. If you're shopping for a great deal on the 512GB model, B&H has them for $456.49 at the time of writing.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Packaging and Accessories]
- Page 4 [Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - BootRacer]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - DiskBench]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Power Testing]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- ZOTAC's new Sonix PCIe 480GB SSD reads at 2.8GB/sec
- Halloween Sale: Under $7 for Evil Within & Mad Max
- ZOTAC's new mini PC packs full-sized GeForce GTX 1080
- Brand new Intel Kaby Lake HP laptops, up to $510 Off
- ZOTAC teams with Thermaltake on new GTX 1080 ArcticStorm
- GIGABYTE Z170X-UD3 Ultra Motherboard Review
- Micro SDXC card Strontium vs Sandisk vs Samsung
- MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Gaming X 4G Review
- BP2SATA - Do I need to connect both power ports?
- HyperX ALLOY FPS Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Toshiba's SAS SSDs provide secure storage for NetApp FAS and E-Series arrays for enterprise applications
- Simplygon enables future of virtual development with open access to software
- Lenovo debuts commercial desktops and notebooks featuring 7th generation AMD PRO processors
- BIOSTAR unveils its GeForce GTX 1060 dual-fan video cards
- Manli announces GeForce GTX 1050 Gallardo Series video cards