Specifications, Pricing and Availability
Samsung offers the 840 Pro in four capacity sizes - 64GB, 128GB, 256GB and 512GB. The performance varies between capacity sizes like most MLC SSDs. Today we're focusing on the 840 Pro 128GB and soon the 256GB model review will go live. You may wonder why we're so late with these drives, well I don't think Samsung really liked our 830 128GB review so we just went out and bought these two drives. In Samsung's defense, they planned on sending us drives, but a FUBAR with the firmware on the media drives meant that the North American allocation needed to go back to South Korea for a flash. Then we started testing with our two purchased retail drives and found new firmware issues, MobileMark 2012 would BSOD every time we ran it. Samsung released a new firmware, version DXM04B0Q and it fixed our notebook power test. We're now ready for the review.
Samsung specs the 840 Pro 128GB with a sequential read speed of 530MB/s, sequential write speed of 390MB/s, random read speed of 97K IOPS and finally random write speed of 90K IOPS. Physically, the 840 Pro uses a 7mm z-height form factor so you can use it in an ultrabook. The mounting points are the same as traditional 9.5mm notebook drives so you can use this drive in a notebook or desktop with a desktop adapter bracket (not included).
Samsung does include a five year warranty as well as a very good software package. The Samsung Magician software rivals that from Intel, these two pretty much tie in the software feature department. Samsung takes it up a notch though with the included data migration software. The software ships on an included CD so you don't have to fumble with an internet download to start using the software.
Newegg lists all four 840 Pro capacity sizes at the time of writing, the 64GB model was sold out though. The prices are 64GB for $99.99, 128GB for $149.99, 256GB for $339.99 and the large 512GB for $574.99. If you're shopping for a great deal on the 512GB model, B&H has them for $456.49 at the time of writing.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Packaging and Accessories]
- Page 4 [Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - BootRacer]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - DiskBench]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Power Testing]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- The best-paid CEO in the US is Sundar Pichai, CEO of Google
- 1Password updated, features Material Design UI and fingerprint unlock
- Ubisoft says The Division being held back on PC 'simply not true'
- Telstra outage in Australia caused by 'embarrassing human error'
- Explosive new 'Independence Day' TV spot, poster go live
- ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Z170 Gaming K4 - Only Posts with one memory stick
- TP-LINK Archer C2600 MU-MIMO Wireless Dual-Band Router Review
- [SSD compatibility question] GA-X58A-UD3R with Samsung EVO Pro SSD
- The Hateful Eight (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- SSD compatibility
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to Intel Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance