As most of you may know, when I build inside most HTPC or Mini-ITX cases, I tent to grab the Zotac powered motherboard with an Intel Atom processor for one main reason - the heat sink. Up until just recently, boards were few and far between for selections, even if I was to find the appropriate aftermarket cooler. There have been a couple that I can remember off the top of my head, one from SilverStone that was basically a shorter Intel stock cooler, the Samuel17, as well as a couple of others that the name slips my mind. Out of that group I would likely recommend the Samuel17, but today Phanteks is offering something that very well may change my mind.
With anything in the Small Form Factor market, the whole idea is to pack as much equipment as is physically possible inside of an area smaller than the box most shoes come in. Doing this to a chassis brings out some nuances let's say, that don't typically show up in the larger cases. Things like where the PSU is going to mount, or in the case of many others, can you fit a tower cooler inside of them either due to the PSU covering it, the roof of the chassis is too low, or the panels are too close. This leads many users to try to configure water loops inside of them, but until the BitFenix Prodigy case arrived, there weren't many good options for that, and on the air cooling side, even with the Samuel17, the cooler could cause issues with memory or the video card.
Today Phanteks has delivered what they think is going to handle these exact situations with ease. The PH-TC90LS is obviously a low profile cooler, but to stand 45mm tall, my gut reaction is that this is a stock replacement cooler with a bit more style and finesse. I found that I was only a third wrong. The PH-TC90LS is an attractive looking cooler with a bit of styling to make it a nice looking addition to any build really, not just SFF ones. The part I failed to realize, is even with one of the thinnest 92mm fans I have ever seen and only 27mm of base and fins to work with, this cooler can handle its business.
Even if you aren't in the market for a low profile cooler, the PH-TC90LS may still impress you enough to run this inside of any build it matches.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [Phanteks PH-TC90LS Low Profile CPU Cooler]
- Page 5 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 6 [Installation and Finished Product]
- Page 7 [The Test System and Thermal Results]
- Page 8 [Noise Level Results]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Corsair announces new Bulldog that will ship in time for Christmas
- FBI demanded Scandinavian countries extradite Snowden if he visited
- Matt Damon: Latest 'Bourne' movie inspired by Edward Snowden saga
- NASA begins year-long Mars isolation experiment on Earth
- Ashley Madison CEO stepping down after devastating data breach
- Build Advice End of 2015 ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1
- X99 Extreme 6ac eSATA
- Until Dawn Sony PlayStation 4 Review
- ASUS gaming PC
- Adam Elements iKlips iOS Lightning / USB 3.0 Flash Drive Review
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20