When we first saw the Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition from AMD we knew that it was about reclaiming their top spot as the fastest single GPU video card on the market. Thanks to what partners like HIS and Sapphire are doing, you can't deny that they've managed to do this with some truly awesome versions of the model coming out so far.
HIS have gone the extra mile, though, by putting together a really nice bundle that includes the new DiRT Showdown game alongside an awesome connectivity setup which is going to be fantastic for people who want to make use of three DisplayPort monitor in Eyefinity.
Price continues to be a little up in the air as we continue to not see the new GHz Edition cards hit the retail market yet. Saying that partners are telling us that they're not far away and considering we've got samples starting to come in now, we'd be inclined to agree with them.
On the performance side of things the one piece of information that has to be taken out of the results is the simple fact that when we move to the most intensive situations (in our case 2560 x 1600), we see that AMD is able to consistently outperform what NVIDIA bring to the table. Considering the money that goes into buying high-end video cards, we hope that you're throwing that display signal out to an equally high-end monitor; be it a 120Hz one or 2560 x 1440 / 1600 one. In these situations we see the AMD video cards perform extremely well.
I think if you're going to jump on a GHz Edition based Radeon HD 7970 you want to move away from a reference design and pick up something like we're looking at today from HIS. The strong out of the box overclock is going to give you great performance while the cooler is going to assist you in getting even more performance if you choose to overclock.
Along with that we've got a really strong I/O configuration that is ahead of almost every other company and a really good bundle; something we're seeing less and less of these days. In the end all these bits and pieces help make the HIS HD 7970 X IceQ X2 3GB Turbo an awesome video card that we highly recommend.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Ocarina of Time gets an enchanting Unreal Engine 4 makeover
- ASUS unveils the new Poseidon Platinum GTX 980 Ti video card
- Sony unveils the Xperia Z5 Premium, the world's first 4K smartphone
- Hideo Kojima: The players are everything, I get my energy from them
- ASUS unveils a Windows 10-powered PC-on-a-stick with the new VivoStick
- Purchasing case fans in Taiwan
- Strontium Nitro 566X 64GB MicroSDXC and USB Type-C Reader Review
- does ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 support window 10 with the G3258 cpu?
- Seagate Backup Plus STDA4000100 4TB External Portable HDD Review
- GA-Z97X Gaming 7 + Samsung SM951 256 gb
- SEAGATE DELIVERS INDUSTRY'S BROADEST PORTFOLIO OF 8TB HARD DRIVES
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015