The HD 7970 had a bit of a weird launch that was split into two dates, the first one was just days before Christmas Day which I have already expressed my fondness about in our reference card review, that date was all about the reference card unlike today which is not only about cards from AMDs partners, but also the day we'll see them start to hit store shelves.
What's really cool is that today we're not just looking at a reference designed card from one of the AMD partners, instead we're looking at a card that not only carries an out of the box overclock, but also carries with it a new cooling solution.
The Black Edition naming in the new XFX HD 7970 Black Edition Double Dissipation isn't anything new to us, the new Double Dissipation tag is, though, and that refers to the cooling solution they're using today.
Before we have a look what's going on with the card and the cooler we need to check out the package, an area that XFX tend to be pretty strong in. Once we've done that we'll take a closer look at the card before we check out the specifications and see what kind of overclock is on offer from the Black Edition naming scheme. Once we've done that it's time to get into the testbed and then the fun stuff; the benchmarking. First things first, though, let's check out what's going on with the box and bundle.
Checking out the box we've got a pretty funky design going on with a different setup to what we've seen from XFX in the past. We can see that they highlight the new Double Dissipation cooler which we'll look closer at on the next page. As for the rest of the box we can see the back expands on some of the main features that the new HD 7970 offers.
Moving inside the box we've got a heap of paperwork going on showing off some of the other products XFX offer, some information on your warranty, a quick install guide, a really cool sign to hang off your door knob and the typical driver CD.
Along with all the paperwork we've got a HDMI to DVI cable, CrossFire bridge and a cool little XFX Black Edition case badge that will no doubt look awesome on your case letting you display your graphics card loudly and proudly.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and The Package]
- Page 2 [The Card & Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Next-gen Hololens to have custom AI chip
- The OnePlus 5 8GB now available for immediate dispatch
- Microsoft Paint killed off with new Creators Update
- The new iPhone 8 might be all about AR
- Apple sued by insurance company for alleged iPhone fire
- Comic-Con 2017 trailer round-up: MCU vs DCEU vs the rest
- graphics card not detected via riser cable
- Maximum ratio (x39) with 4,06GHz for i7 4770 on GA Z87X-UD3H?
- Supermicro SuperO Booster Software Guide
- How to make one network using 2 routers
- Atari announces Blade Runner 2049 partnership with NECA and Audiowear, launching wearable technology that blurs the line between fashion and future
- BIOSTAR introduces the world's first 8-slot PCI-e mining motherboard with the TB250-BTC+
- HyperX unveils HyperX Alloy Elite and TKL HyperX Alloy FPS Pro mechanical gaming keyboards
- Toshiba Memory Corporation develops world's first 3D flash memory with TSV technology
- ADATA releases XPG GAMMIX line with S10 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1.2 SSD and D10 DDR4