Coming in at $199.99 US, the ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 is the cheapest PCIe 3.0 motherboard we've looked at so far. While the overclock isn't quite as strong as some of the other motherboards we've looked at, the Extreme4 hits at a really good price point coming under that important $200 price tag while at the same time offering a strong feature set which includes two PCI 3.0 x16 slots.
One of the most attractive options on the board, though, is the fact that it's hitting us at under $200 while at the same time offering us a board that looks great. The black setup looks great and the heatsink setup while not as strong as the Extreme7, is still very good.
On the bundle side of things we've got all the normal pieces included along with the USB 3.0 ports that can be installed in the front of your case or the rear, depending on where you want them. This is something we're still seeing a lot of companies not include; it's good to see that ASRock is doing it, though, as USB 3.0 connectivity becomes more and more mainstream. And while a lot of companies offer us USB 3.0 connectivity on the back of the board, the added bonus of being able to access them from the front is really appreciated.
Really, there's not much more that needs to be said about the ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 to be completely honest. It comes in at a really good price point as we've already mentioned, while at the same time looking really good. The bundle is a bit bigger than a lot of its competitors and on the overclock front it does a good job.
If you're thinking that you're going to make the jump to Ivy Bridge when it comes out and a possible HD 7000 series video card which should be PCIe 3.0, but you don't want to break the bank on the motherboard front, then this is a really good option. Paired with something like a 2500k at the moment, you're going to get a nice overclock and just some strong all round performance.
On the other hand, if you're just looking for a well-priced Z68 motherboard that looks good to handle the current crop of Sandy Bridge CPUs, then it's also a really good option that is worth considering.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Motherboard]
- Page 3 [The Motherboard Continued]
- Page 4 [BIOS]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup and Overclocking]
- Page 6 [CPU Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [System Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [USB 2.0 and 3.0 Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [SSD Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Memory Benchmarks]
- Page 11 [Gaming Benchmarks]
- Page 12 [Temperature and Power]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Bethsoft teases Fallout 4 DLC and huge Survivor Mode changes
- Qualcomm aims to make smartwatches much better with new chip
- Microsoft to reveal new Windows 10 and Xbox One plans this month
- Rainbow Six Siege update 2.1 now on PC, adds custom dedicated servers
- Only digital pre-orders unlock access to the Hitman beta
- Cougar 450K Hybrid Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- more a what's your opinion on motherboard replacement re: asus 1225b
- Debug 62
- Asrock z97e-itx/ac Bifurcation Support
- Intel Compute Stick "2" STK1AW32SC 2GB Windows 10 Review
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to Intel Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance