First things first - what I'm not a huge fan of here, that being the overclock label. While of course the card is overclocked with a 20MHz boost in core, the lack of memory overclock to go alongside with it means that overall there's a very minimal boost in performance when compared to a card that runs at its stock counterpart.
The second is just an aesthetic thing; the card itself lacks any color and while we know for the most part once a card goes in the system people won't even be worried about how it looks, it's always nice to pull a card out of the box for the first time and just go "Whoa, this is a good looking card."
The thing is, for dislikes this is where it stops and really, neither are a real issue which would likely skew your decision in if you should buy it or not. If you go through the graphs here today, you already get a great idea of what's going on.
On the performance side of things, the HD 6870 Dirt 3 Edition OC offers a small bump in FPS here and there; nothing too major at all and that's to be expected with the fact we're only dealing with a 20MHz core clock increase.
The card really shines, though, when you start to focus on what the cooler does. While a little plain looking as we mentioned, the cooler Sapphire have used here today does an absolutely fantastic job.
To turn around and see the noise levels we got and realize that hasn't come at the cost of extra heat on the core is amazing and a real testament to the quality of the cooler here. With some good sized fans the card is able to spin at relatively low speeds while still pushing a good amount of air and with the heatsink design and copper heat pipes, we can see we're able to get an extremely cool running card.
These days you've got so many options when it comes to the HD 6800 series because they've been around for so long now, but it's great to see companies like Sapphire are still able to bring something that is able to stand out in a pack that has had so many variants already seen.
While not available yet, if previous trends are anything to go by, we should be looking at a good price. If you're looking for something that's going to perform like a HD 6870, yet be really quiet and run nice and cool, the Sapphire HD 6870 Dirt 3 Edition OC we've got here is a really nice pick up.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and The Package]
- Page 2 [The Card & Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Metro 2033]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Dirt 3]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Total War: Shogun 2]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 16 [Temperature Test]
- Page 17 [Sound Test]
- Page 18 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 19 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Quantum Break is DX12 only, requires 8GB of RAM minimum
- Rise of the Tomb Raider's new patch improves multi-GPU performance
- PSN Flash Sale has Valentine's day inspired deals
- Facebook Messenger to support SMS soon, rumors indicate
- Class-action suit filed against Apple over iPhone error 53
- Extreme Problem (not alone)
- Cougar 450K Hybrid Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- more a what's your opinion on motherboard replacement re: asus 1225b
- Debug 62
- Asrock z97e-itx/ac Bifurcation Support
- Phanteks Announces the Eclipse P400 and P400S Chassis
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to Intel Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces Horus GK2000 Gaming Keyboard
- Logitech Announces the G810 Orion Spectrum Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
- ADATA Reveals HD650X and HD710M USB 3.0 External Hard Drives