Installation and Finished Product
The victim is the same and this time I skipped right ahead to its prepped state so we can move right along into the installation. After the GPU IHS is cleaned you need to take some time and make sure the oils and gunk that the stock cooler leaves on the memory and phase chips is completely removed. If you don't have a "cleaner" off the shelf, look into alcohol and an eraser from a #2 pencil as the way to be sure they are prepped correctly.
I went ahead and installed all of the heatsinks to the components as shown in the instructions. When I went to test the card, I realized I had an issue, and via emails and some replacement heatsinks I was able to fix my issue.
When I tested the card I realized the phase sinks had fallen off, and looking into it a bit more I found I had a pair of caps in the way. C98 and C121 were causing an issue where the heatsinks were hitting them and not contacting the phase chips. This way of mounting offers cooling and clearance, so if you have a GTX 470, keep this in mind.
I now have the studs installed into the proper set of mounting holes and have placed the rubber spacers on them. We are almost ready to install this bad boy!
As I mentioned, before adding the fan to the top of the fins, you need to remove the paper backing and tape the anti-vibration strips to the outer edge of the fins of both sides.
At this point the cooler is now mounted and ready for us to absorb its enormity. The Shaman offers plenty of clearance for caps and power plugs all the way around, except the end where the pipes come out, and is why Thermalright sends the flat heatsinks. There is no way I could have used the taller flame shaped heatsinks on these three ICs.
The back plate and nuts are easy to install and tighten into place. The back plate offers plenty of clearance around the back of the GPU and didn't cause me any issues as the legs extend to the mounting holes. There isn't a specified amount of pressure to look for with these screws, so it may take a bit of playing around with the tension to get the best results.
This shot was after I had the card installed and ready to test. As you can see, the heat sink from my phase chips had fallen off and is now stuck to the fins on the cooler. Another thing to mention here if it hasn't already sunken in, is that now you can definitely see this is a full four slots of cooler and fan!
Here we have the Shaman as I installed it before powering it up. You can see that this cooler is going to encompass most of the room left in any mid tower, and even in the 600T SE it is taking up a lot more room than I had expected when I first got the cooler.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AMD's next-gen 'Horned Owl' APU arrives in 2017
- Xbox wants to be the best place for devs to make money
- Amazon Prime now required for new Twitch subscriptions
- NVIDIA shows how awesome Gears of War 4 looks in DX12
- Ubisoft says Nintendo will be 'back in the race' with NX
- Acer Chromebook R11 Review
- ASRock Z87 EXTREME4 won't restart - debug code 4F
- ASUS X99-Deluxe II Motherboard Review
- U.2 Kit on Taichi
- Z170X-Gaming 5 - Thunderbolt controller + Intel RST drivers issue.
- Antec and Razer team up to co-brand a new Mini-ITX gaming chassis
- Samsung Electronics accelerates the NVMe era for consumers with its highest performing 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives
- Lighting is in the Aer: NZXT launches Aer RGB, premium LED PWM fans
- Syber Gaming delivers VR and 4K-ready 'C Series' small form factor gaming PC
- HyperX Gears of War gaming headset shipping now