Installation and Finished Product
The victim is the same and this time I skipped right ahead to its prepped state so we can move right along into the installation. After the GPU IHS is cleaned you need to take some time and make sure the oils and gunk that the stock cooler leaves on the memory and phase chips is completely removed. If you don't have a "cleaner" off the shelf, look into alcohol and an eraser from a #2 pencil as the way to be sure they are prepped correctly.
I went ahead and installed all of the heatsinks to the components as shown in the instructions. When I went to test the card, I realized I had an issue, and via emails and some replacement heatsinks I was able to fix my issue.
When I tested the card I realized the phase sinks had fallen off, and looking into it a bit more I found I had a pair of caps in the way. C98 and C121 were causing an issue where the heatsinks were hitting them and not contacting the phase chips. This way of mounting offers cooling and clearance, so if you have a GTX 470, keep this in mind.
I now have the studs installed into the proper set of mounting holes and have placed the rubber spacers on them. We are almost ready to install this bad boy!
As I mentioned, before adding the fan to the top of the fins, you need to remove the paper backing and tape the anti-vibration strips to the outer edge of the fins of both sides.
At this point the cooler is now mounted and ready for us to absorb its enormity. The Shaman offers plenty of clearance for caps and power plugs all the way around, except the end where the pipes come out, and is why Thermalright sends the flat heatsinks. There is no way I could have used the taller flame shaped heatsinks on these three ICs.
The back plate and nuts are easy to install and tighten into place. The back plate offers plenty of clearance around the back of the GPU and didn't cause me any issues as the legs extend to the mounting holes. There isn't a specified amount of pressure to look for with these screws, so it may take a bit of playing around with the tension to get the best results.
This shot was after I had the card installed and ready to test. As you can see, the heat sink from my phase chips had fallen off and is now stuck to the fins on the cooler. Another thing to mention here if it hasn't already sunken in, is that now you can definitely see this is a full four slots of cooler and fan!
Here we have the Shaman as I installed it before powering it up. You can see that this cooler is going to encompass most of the room left in any mid tower, and even in the 600T SE it is taking up a lot more room than I had expected when I first got the cooler.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Xbox One Mini isn't real, says Phil Spencer
- Marvel Studios founder to bring Borderlands to the big screen
- ASUS starts teasing the ROG MATRIX video cards are on their way
- Skylake-powered Retina MacBook models are on their way
- HTC co-founder gets a second job at a visual effects company
- Adam Elements iKlips iOS Lightning / USB 3.0 Flash Drive Review
- MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Lightning Video Card Review
- Buffalo WXR-1900DHP DD-WRT NXT AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- ASRock Extreme4 x99 boot failure with more than 2 G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GRBB
- [Share]Lorkag GOP updater tool for AMD and NVIDIA VBIOS
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20