First things first; when it comes to the PCIe 3.0 side of things we don't really see any benefit at the moment. That's not a bad thing and at least we come prepared for the next generation of video cards and next generation of LGA 1155 processors. It would be nice to get some kind of benefit now with PCIe 3.0, but unfortunately there's just nothing that can really make use of it.
That's not MSIs fault, though. The same problem is present on the recent ASRock and GIGABYTE boards we've looked at. In the end there's really nothing wrong with being ready and the chances are if you're looking for a Z68 based motherboard now, PCIe 3.0 support is probably something you're going to want.
On the performance side of things, the MSI Z68A-GD80-G3 performs well and offers us a nice overclock at just over 5GHz. The overall look of the board is great and the Black / Blue color scheme present is clearly one of the nicer ones on the market. For the $234.99 US price tag associated with the board, it's really a nice pick up for that kind of money.
OC Genie II is a nice bonus and if you want to overclock a bit, but find yourself nervous about entering the BIOS and adjusting voltages, an 800MHz overclock at the touch of a button on a 2600k is indeed appreciated.
The other big stand out for the board is the new ClickBIOS II. The original ClickBIOS wasn't bad, but when you compare it to the latest version it does look really crap. This new version looks extremely sharp and you've got a wealth of information as soon as you enter the BIOS. MSI have done a fantastic job reworking this area and I've got to give them real props for doing such a good job.
Outside of that stuff, we've got a good bundle on hand which includes a USB 3.0 header and a couple of other little extras. In the end, you find yourself dealing with just a really nice board that looks good, performs well and offers some features that stand out from the competition.
If you're looking for a Z68 board and you're thinking that PCIe 3.0 is something that you want to have, then this is a board worth looking at. MSI has just done a really good job with it and no doubt you can see that here today.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Motherboard]
- Page 3 [The Motherboard Continued]
- Page 4 [BIOS]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup and Overclocking]
- Page 6 [CPU Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [System Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [USB 2.0 and 3.0 Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [SSD Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Memory Benchmarks]
- Page 11 [Gaming Benchmarks]
- Page 12 [Temperature and Power]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- 'Moonlight' wins Best Picture Oscar in huge screw up
- Switch handheld battery lasts over 3 hours playing Zelda
- Hack 'Mr Robot' and win a Season 2 Blu-ray on us!
- Samsung teases the Galaxy S8 and confirms launch date
- Samsung's Galaxy Tab S3 with stylus introduced at MWC
- Will the PC-Q17 ever be released in the U.S?
- Blind BIOS update both backup and main BIOS chips are empty
- Main and backup BIOS are damaged or wipped
- Halo Wars 2 Xbox One Review
- Asus Zenfone 2 Laser 5.5s rear camera is not working
- Dolby Laboratories and LG Electronics announce first smartphone to support Dolby Vision
- Meet the HUAWEI P10, a stunning combination of technology and art
- Samsung expands tablet portfolio with Galaxy Tab S3 and Galaxy Book, offering enhanced mobile entertainment and productivity
- Razer releases power bank smart charge mobile accessory
- LG unveils new G6 with a large fullvision display tailored to fit in one hand