We mentioned in our last video card review that the industry is a bit quiet at the moment and while we've got a few video cards come in lately, it's funny to note that all of them seem to be of the AMD variety. I suppose the fact that most of the time at launch we don't see AMD cards mixed up too much means that a little later down the track we really start to see companies doing more with them.
Today the particular card we're looking at is the ASUS HD 6970 DirectCU II one. I've quickly become a fan of the DirectCU II cooler for the simple fact it's proven to do an extremely good job when it comes to giving us low temperatures at low noise levels. The biggest gripe people have with the model is that it's of course a triple slot card.
If you're someone who find themselves happy with the onboard equipment like networking and audio, then the HD 6970 DirectCU II taking up an extra slot might not be all that much of a problem to you.
So with that said, let's look at what's going on with this card today by starting with the package. Once that's done we'll look at the card and see just what the DirectCU II cooler looks like before checking out the specifications of the card and then get into the performance side of things.
Checking out the front and back of the box, you don't see anything too out of the ordinary with the back of the box giving us a run down on some of the major features that are present on the card.
Checking out the package, there's not much going on with the quick setup guide, driver CD, CrossFire cable and dual 6-Pin PCI-E to 8 Pin PCI-E connector.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Card & Specification]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Temperature Test]
- Page 16 [Sound Test]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 19 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 20 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Naughty Dog announces March 18, 2016 release for Uncharted 4 on PS4
- Google is trying to make 4K video less demanding on your connection
- FBI says companies lost $1.2B due to email scams since October 2013
- Qualcomm's next chip will use machine learning to detect malware
- Intel teases 100TB or larger SSDs for 2020
- Kingston DataTraveler microDuo 3C USB 3.1 Type-C Flash Drive Review
- PC-Q01/PC-Q03 Sizing Questions
- USB 3.0 header availability for PC-C37?
- Clean install windows 10 after being an insider
- Corsair Hydro H110i GTX High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler Review
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20