I find myself pleasantly surprised with what Sapphire is offering here today. For starters, when I got the card I didn't even think I'd be reviewing it because it was going to be nothing more than a HD 6950 we've tested with Dirt 3 included. Checking out the Sapphire website, though, it was nice to see that the model had something different going on outside of just the extra bundle. Instead Sapphire had opted to install a new cooler on the card.
It would've been nice to see Sapphire overclock the card a little out of the box just to make it a bit more interesting, but more so because of the quality of the cooler. Not only does the card run extremely cool, but it runs extremely quiet, and that's with our slight little overclock. For that reason it would've been nice to see Sapphire bump the clocks up a little.
Outside of the cooler, Sapphire has managed to put a good bundle together with the inclusion of Dirt 3 via a voucher along with a full size HDMI cable. Throw in the quality of the cooler and you've got a really nice HD 6950.
While the HD 6950 has been around for a while now, we're seeing the card more and more here with companies to really begin to mix it up. While it would've been nice to see Sapphire do something with the clock speeds, overclocking yourself is extremely easy and you've of course got the option to use their own Overclocking software, TRIXX.
The only thing we don't really like is the way Sapphire have implemented the Dual BIOS switch. This isn't something new, but it's something we've seen companies pull away from with recent versions of their cards. Sapphire in this case has chosen to keep the option here, but the button is in a really awkward position and actually quite hard to find.
In the end, though, if you're on the lookout for a HD 6950, the Sapphire Dirt 3 Edition at $269.99 US is a good buy. You've got a strong cooler and a nice bundle that includes a really good game. Overclock a little yourself and you've got a really good HD 6950 on your hands. As usual, Sapphire does a good job of not disappointing.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Card & Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Temperature Test]
- Page 16 [Sound Test]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 19 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 20 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- GALAX GTX 1080 Ti EXOC White: dual-slot GTX 1080 Ti
- The Division receives loadout feature in PTR patch
- CliffyB: AAA games in a 'weird spot', VR in '80s' period
- GDDR6 is coming to high-end GPUs in early 2018
- Project Scorpio has 'no real technical limit on games'
- Hidrate Spark 2.0 Bluetooth Smart Bottle Review
- Asus MCE remote IR codes required
- Looking for instant flash bios files for P67 Pro3 B3
- Planet Earth II 4K Blu-ray Review
- Promise Technology Apollo Cloud 2TB Review
- SAPPHIRE introduces new PULSE graphics card family
- HyperX Cloud Revolver S gaming headset now shipping
- SK Hynix introduces industry's fastest 8Gb graphics DRAM (GDDR6)
- Samsung and Amazon Video deliver next generation HDR video experience with updated open standard HDR10+
- AmpliFi HD Mesh Wi-Fi Available at Best Buy, GameStop and Sam's Club