At $519 US you just need to ask yourself one question. Do you want the fastest single GPU card available? If the answer to that is "Yes", then this is the card for you. The GTX 580 is fast; when overclocked it's faster again. Overclocked even more due to the extra abilities you get from the "Lightning" series and you've just got a card that's Lightning fast. Excuse the lame pun!
Something that's so important to know about the Lightning series is while MSI put a huge amount of effort into making them the best cards for people who are doing extreme overclocking via LN2, they're a fantastic card for people who are just interested in overclocking on the cooler.
The ability to have more voltage options means that clocks can go higher than other cards, and in the software MSI allow only options that are safe on the solution they provide. Combined with Afterburner you can have a real blast with the Lightning series on the provided coolers. The fact they're also a lot more efficient than the reference coolers means that the headroom for overclocking is also increased.
The HD 6970 Lightning is a better value card; it's cheaper and offers great performance. The GTX 580 Lightning is a faster card, though; it costs more, but offers more performance. For people who demand speed, this is the card to get and while dual GPU offerings like the GTX 590 and HD 6990 are great, if you've got the room and the money, SLI or CrossFire offerings of these Lightning cards are going to be even better.
Don't be scared off by the ability to measure voltage from the card or the "LN2" BIOS, because as we mentioned, while this is a fantastic card for those extreme overclockers, the engineering that goes into this card, the out of the box cooling solution and the ability to adjust multiple voltages also makes this a fantastic card for people who will use the stock cooler.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - PhysX Tests]
- Page 16 [Temperature Test]
- Page 17 [Sound Test]
- Page 18 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 19 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 20 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 21 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Google to punish mobile sites with intrusive advertising
- Battlefield 1 Premium includes just four expansions
- 3 apps all PC owners need to protect their data
- VR On The Lot event in Hollywood includes X-Men director
- Divinity Original Sin 2 hits early access next month
- Are LianLi case fans any good?
- GAMDIAS Hermes RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Really hot idle temps on X99 Extreme 4/3.1
- Trouble with upgrading RAM GA-H55M-S2V
- Z77x-D3h issue with windows 10 fast start up feature
- CAPE Audio shakes up the headphone industry with the release of Rebellion Headphones
- Tesoro announces ambidextrous, White Sharur SE Spectrum gaming mouse
- Eurocom launches worlds first GTX 1080 SLI VR-Ready laptop
- Thermaltake new Pacific RGB G1/4 PETG Tube 16mm OD 12mm ID 6 liquid-cooling fittings with 1 RGB LED lighting controller
- Cooler Master announces the MasterMouse Pro L