Oh how I've missed you ASUS, what a card! - Three slots is so overkill, but with onboard gigabit, decent quality audio and RAID, the need for multiple expansion cards isn't nearly as necessary as years past, which means that taking up an extra slot on top of the normal two doesn't really seem like all that much of a deal.
The cooler is fantastic. Sure, it's massive, and while it might run a little warmer than something like the Twin Frozr II MSI we recently looked at, this thing is just dead silent. It pretty much offers the noise of a passive cooled card with the performance of a good aftermarket cooler. There's not much more you can ask for from a cooler, well, maybe that it takes up two slots, but who cares?
Outside of that, though, we've got an "overclock", and I say "overclock" in quotation marks because it's annoying me a bit lately that companies push the core up 10MHz and throw the "overclock" tag on it, but none the less we still have it. More importantly, one of the big stand out features is the connectivity line-up with four DisplayPorts.
I'm all four DisplayPort (get it, see how I said "four"?). Get rid of DVI and HDMI and bring in the future of connectivity. It frustrates me as someone who owns three 27" DisplayPort monitors in Eyefinity that I still have to use a DVI cable because the HD 6950 I have only supports two mini-DP connectors.
The triple slot nature of the card has to be noted, it's going to be an important factor for some people. If it's not to you, though, and you want something that is pretty much silent, this is just a killer card. The performance of the cooler is even more exciting when you consider the fact we had the card clocked to its maximum speed in overdrive, and we were still able to achieve near silent numbers.
Just a really strong HD 6950 at a little over $300 USD, and to be honest you can see why ASUS is throwing the DirectCU II cooler on all these higher end models. It's nice to get something so meaty in the cooling department without the need to own a $600 USD model.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Temperature Test]
- Page 16 [Sound Test]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 19 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 20 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Death Stranding analysis: breaking down the bizarre
- Marvel vs Capcom 3: Ultimate coming to PS4 later today
- The Last of Us 2 announced
- Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite announced, coming in 2017
- New Uncharted: The Lost Legacy announced
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- Fnatic Gear Clutch G1 Optical Gaming Mouse Review
- X99 Professional Gaming i7 and RAM question
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset