The HD 6950 1GB is an important model for the simple fact that it attacks the price point that NVIDIA attacked head on with the GTX 560 Ti, which really made the HD 6950 2GB just too expensive. Yes, it carried with it more memory, and yes, it performs better in some areas, but with both cards quite neck and neck you would've probably been better off opting for the GTX 560 Ti as it was cheaper, unless of course you wanted Eyefinity.
The HD 6950 1GB prevents AMD from having to drop the price on the 2GB model while offering similar performance. Really, when it all comes down to it, the difference between 1GB and 2GB is debatable.
Unlike the GTX 560 Ti, though, AMD has the option for a 2GB card and while some will argue it's not worth the money, you're not going to change people's minds that want the extra memory and are happy to pay for it.
What the model also does, though, is make the decision harder when it comes to deciding what you buy. The HD 6950 2GB carried with it a good chunk higher price tag when compared to the GTX 560 Ti. If money was the most important factor you would opt for the 1GB GTX 560 Ti. Now, though, you've got this 1GB model that carries an aggressive price tag and the same high performance.
Outside of the actual model on a whole there's the Sapphire version which carries with it a great cooler and an even greater bundle. The inclusion of the mini-DP to DP adapter is great as we're seeing a lot of companies ignore the inclusion of one and as people are starting to make use of DisplayPort monitors it is frustrating to get a card and then not be able to use it until you've got yourself an adapter, which can still be a little hard to buy.
At the end of it all, though, this is a great card and one much needed by AMD and its partners. It offers strong performance and a strong price. From a psychological perspective as well, people feel they're getting a higher end card with this as you're part of the top series - the HD 6900 in this case. The GTX 560 Ti on the other hand is known as a midrange card due to the GTX 460 being a midrange one. Perception is important and it's probably something that's playing for AMD in this instance.
I wouldn't be surprised if we see NVIDIA play a little more with the naming scheme in the near future now that the "Ti" tag has shown up.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Temperature Test]
- Page 16 [Sound Test]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 19 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 20 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Get Trained (and Certified) in Cloud Computing for $39
- Take to the campaign trail with The Political Machine 2016
- Rise of the Tomb Raider's latest patch improves HBAO+, and more
- Twitter has shut down over 125,000 accounts for promoting terrorism
- Google AI, Go champ match will be broadcast live on YouTube in March
- I am the new guy
- The Hateful Eight (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- SSD compatibility
- ASrock z170 extreme 7+ Post code 00
- Apacer Panther DDR4-2666 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to IntelÃ'Â® Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance