The Lightning series is one of my favorite series on the market and the main reason for that is because they're more than just a card that carries a good overclock or has the ability to achieve a good one. MSI go back to the drawing board and make sure the card stands out from anything else on the market.
The GTX 480 has always had a bit of trouble gaining momentum on the market and no matter what you think of the model on a whole, it hasn't been a fantastic model for NVIDIA. Recently, though, we've seen companies really begin to attack the card and make it stand out for all the right reasons.
We saw Galaxy strap a massive cooler on the card which made it an absolute beast; GIGABYTE has brought it into its SOC series and today MSI are bringing the card into the Lightning series. It looks like an absolute beast; that much I can tell you. But how does it go once we slide it into our testbed and use our favorite overclocking software from MSI?
It's been a while since we've seen a big box like this from MSI and while the picture doesn't give the best perspective, we can tell it's clearly larger than most VGA boxes these days.
Inside the big box there's a fair bit going on; we've got the normal stuff like some paperwork and a driver CD; we've got a DVI to VGA and DVI to HDMI connector, HDMI cable along with a number of power convertors which include a dual Molex to 6-Pin and two 6-Pin to 8-Pin ones.
Also included are another three little cables. We've seen these before from MSI and what they're used for is to measure the voltage of the card in certain areas. Most people will not use these cables and this feature, but it's another extra that puts the Lightning series a level above the competition.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 4 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Final Fantasy XIV]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - PhysX Tests]
- Page 16 [Temperature Test]
- Page 17 [Sound Test]
- Page 18 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 19 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 20 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 21 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- LG confirms $1.75 billion investment in flexible OLED displays
- $299 Xbox One S bundled with free copy of Halo 5, launches Aug 23
- Burnout creators begin work on new driving game with VR support
- Jon Rettinger: Apple is 'boring', 'stopped innovating years ago'
- Carpool Karaoke fan? Yeah, Apple signs 16 episodes for Apple Music
- D-Link DIR-879 EXO AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- Asrock z77 Extreme 6 Ram Overclocking Stuck at 2000mhz
- MDD BP5e 480GB M.2 SATA III SSD Review
- ASRock Beebox-S (Intel Core i5-6200U) Mini PC Review
- AMD Positioning Itself to Become a Commanding Force in Rendering
- Polaris Nitro-charged - introducing the SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 480
- AccelStor debuting NeoSapphire 3706-ES1 at Flash Memory Summit 2016
- Elitegroup ceremoniously launches ECS H110S-2P mini-STX motherboard and the all-new LIVA Pro Mini PC
- MSI announces custom GeForce GTX 1060 graphics cards
- Seagate unveils the industry's broadest 10TB portfolio