The whole HD 6850 Shader issue has become quite a large pain as it's made it hard to really know where the HD 6850 stands internally due to both our models carrying the increased Shader amount. We'll have adjusted results for the model as soon as possible and all will be right in our graphs again.
Of course, if it works out that you're able to unlock the HD 6850 to 1120 Shaders then we're just ahead of the curve. We can hope, can't we? Today, though, it's all about the HD 6870 and its overclocking ability. We figured with voltage, 1GHz on the core wasn't going to be a problem, and sure enough it wasn't.
At the results we ended up with, 1035MHz on the core and 4600MHz QDR on the 1GB of memory, the overall performance was very strong. It does come at the cost of a bit more noise and a little more heat, but we can see in some situations the overclock managed to boost performance from unplayable to playable; and for us that's the most important aspect of overclocking. Getting extra noise and heat and in turn pushing your FPS from 220 to 250 is really pointless. Moving from a 27 FPS minimum to a 32 FPS one, though; this is going to really make your gaming that little bit more enjoyable.
Getting into specifics of the card, the Sapphire HD 6870 is what we would've expected out of a HD 6870. What's particularly nice is that Sapphire has thrown a good little bundle together that carries with it some extra cables, which some users are really going to appreciate.
While the HD 6870 isn't going to be an upgrade from a HD 5870 and not much of an upgrade from a HD 5850, it's an upgrade from a lot of other models and that's important to know. Overclocking adds a nice boost in performance and TRIXX from Sapphire is looking the goods with the software being used twice now in our HD 6800 series content.
For the most part the Sapphire HD 6870 doesn't really hold any surprises. At the moment that's not a bad thing as the HD 6870 on a whole is a good product with excellent scaling when it comes to Crossfire.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 4 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Final Fantasy XIV]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Temperature Test]
- Page 16 [Sound Test]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 19 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 20 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Samsung has 3.5-inch 120Hz OLED: next-gen VR panels
- Samsung teases prototype 1.96-inch 4K LCD for VR HMDs
- Exploding Beats headphones aren't Apple's fault
- Samsung: Galaxy S8 is 2-for-1 in the US only right now
- NVIDIA's purported Volta-based TITAN Xv spotted
- ASUS RT-AC1900p Wireless Router Review
- ASUS RT-AC1900p Wireless Router Review
- GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK with SSD M.2 Plextor M8PeG 256gb. low speed after shut down
- Prey Review: Dark Stars, Darker Thoughts
- Alien Covenant Movie Review
- Western Digital sets new standard with latest generation in popular HGST-brand Ultrastar SAS SSD family
- AMD raises expectations for server performance, unveils EPYC processor brand for the datacenter
- HighPoint's SSD7101 PCIe board-sized drive series integrate Samsung 960 NVMe SSDs to deliver groundbreaking performance over 12GB/s
- Micron accelerates all-flash storage speed, performance and value with new flexible petabyte-scale enterprise data center solution
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 and 630 mobile platforms drive advanced photography, enhanced gaming, integrated connectivity and machine learning