The whole HD 6850 Shader issue has become quite a large pain as it's made it hard to really know where the HD 6850 stands internally due to both our models carrying the increased Shader amount. We'll have adjusted results for the model as soon as possible and all will be right in our graphs again.
Of course, if it works out that you're able to unlock the HD 6850 to 1120 Shaders then we're just ahead of the curve. We can hope, can't we? Today, though, it's all about the HD 6870 and its overclocking ability. We figured with voltage, 1GHz on the core wasn't going to be a problem, and sure enough it wasn't.
At the results we ended up with, 1035MHz on the core and 4600MHz QDR on the 1GB of memory, the overall performance was very strong. It does come at the cost of a bit more noise and a little more heat, but we can see in some situations the overclock managed to boost performance from unplayable to playable; and for us that's the most important aspect of overclocking. Getting extra noise and heat and in turn pushing your FPS from 220 to 250 is really pointless. Moving from a 27 FPS minimum to a 32 FPS one, though; this is going to really make your gaming that little bit more enjoyable.
Getting into specifics of the card, the Sapphire HD 6870 is what we would've expected out of a HD 6870. What's particularly nice is that Sapphire has thrown a good little bundle together that carries with it some extra cables, which some users are really going to appreciate.
While the HD 6870 isn't going to be an upgrade from a HD 5870 and not much of an upgrade from a HD 5850, it's an upgrade from a lot of other models and that's important to know. Overclocking adds a nice boost in performance and TRIXX from Sapphire is looking the goods with the software being used twice now in our HD 6800 series content.
For the most part the Sapphire HD 6870 doesn't really hold any surprises. At the moment that's not a bad thing as the HD 6870 on a whole is a good product with excellent scaling when it comes to Crossfire.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 4 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Final Fantasy XIV]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Temperature Test]
- Page 16 [Sound Test]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 19 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 20 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- ZTE's dual-camera Blade V8 Pro is now on sale for $230
- 'Star Trek: Discovery' gets a further delay
- China is working on the fastest supercomputer, ever
- AMD Radeon Pro Duo drops to $799, dual-GPU Fiji goodness
- Switch's 4310mAh battery takes 3 hours to fully recharge
- Z170MX-Gaming 5 + i5 7600k.. Should work or not?
- ASRock 2.70 Splash Screen replaces Windows?
- bios update
- How to get larger than 2TB HD to work on GA-P35-DS4 Rev 2.0
- G skill Trident Z 32GB ( 2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 Cas 15
- NGE and Twitch partner to bring the Overwatch Winter Premiere Live Finals to PAX Arena at PAX South
- Bayview Labs, Seraph Group and MIT Game Lab announce 'Play Labs' VR/AR/AI Playful Tech Accelerator for MIT students and alumni
- NZXT reveals new Puck cable management system
- Synology unveils Surveillance Station 8.0
- BIOSTAR announces Z270 motherboard lineup