The P55 Extrerme4 follows the basic AMI BIOS layout with a few extras thrown in by ASRock. The setup is laid out in a tab-like format with the major headings along the top.
Most overclockers and even a few regular users will be hanging out in the OC Tweaker page (and sub-pages). Here is where the majority of the performance tweaks and settings are found. It is also where the EZ overclocking tools are located.
The CPU EZ OC Settings are simple to use; pick the speed you want to run at, then hit Enter. From there the system will set what it thinks are the proper voltages for that speed and the CPU you are using.
At the bottom of the OC Tweaker page are slots to save your favorite overclocks.
There are also a few more tweaks available on the CPU settings sub-menu under the Advanced tab.
The chipset and storage configuration is also handled on the Advanced page, along with the controls for the USB devices on the board.
The Hardware Monitor page gives you quick access to what is going on with the P55 Extreme4 and also lets you set up different profiles for the fan headers on the board.
Overclocking the P55 Extreme4 was the work of a few settings changed in the BIOS. All I did was to use the CPU EZ OC setting and crank it up to 4GHz. From there I worked backwards to my final OC of 180x22 for a 3.953GHz clock. I left the voltages the same as were set for the 4GHz clock without any side effects. With how easy it was to reach 3.95GHz, I am sure that with more tweaking and playing I would be able to get quite a bit more out of the P55 Extreme4.
You can see the validation for the ASRock P55 Extreme4 here.
The included overclocking software with the ASRock P55 Extreme4 is called OC Tuner. It is not as polished as most of the other software packages available on the market. It even looks like it is not all the way finished. The graphics are cartoonish at best, while the functionality of the software leaves a little to be desired. It is not that the software does not work; it is that it takes some getting used to. We played with it for a little bit, but found it was much easier to work within the BIOS.
As all overclocking results are dependent on the hardware you use, your results may vary. Results of our overclocking tests are included in the performance section with the stock scores.
Important Editor Note: Our maximum overclocking result is the best result we managed in our limited time of testing the motherboard. Due to time constraints we weren't able to tweak the motherboard to the absolute maximum and find the highest possible FSB, as this could take days to find properly. We do however spend at least a few hours overclocking every motherboard to try and find the highest possible overclock in that time frame. You may or may not be able to overclock higher if you spend more time tweaking or as new BIOS updates are released. "Burn-in" time might also come into play if you believe in that.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- PC gaming continues to make more money than consoles and mobile gaming
- NVIDIA to unveil next-gen GeForce on the same day as Battlefield 5
- NVIDIA's next-gen video cards will be available at retail in June
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided trailer details augmentations, and more
- Apple Music update brings videos, family plan to Android
- Six Windows Applications Free Pack
- Creative Sound Blaster Roar Pro Bluetooth Portable Speaker Review
- Thecus N5810 Consumer NAS Review
- Cold double post on Z77X-UD5H
- Lian Li PC-X510 question about resonance sound
- ASRock and Intel teams up to create one of the smallest mini PCs: DeskMini
- Sapphire launches Radeon Pro Duo for ultimate VR & 4K experience
- Seagate now shipping 10TB helium enterprise drive in volume
- ENERMAX announces the new DFR technology with D.F.PRESSURE
- World's first 24/7 esports TV channel launched