The Super Overclock version of the HD 5870 has been a long time coming; we heard about the model a while ago and it was just a matter of playing the waiting game while GIGABYTE put the final touches on the model to make sure it stands out from the pack.
Looking at the performance today, it's become clear that the wait was worth it with it being the fastest HD 5870 we've tested to date and compared to the GTX 480 it does a fantastic job of competing.
A big deal in regards to the Super Overclock series is the OC potential of the model and while we haven't looked at that today, we'll be looking at it soon enough. With some new overclocking software and a new model, we're hoping that the SOC version of the HD 5870 form GIGABYTE will be able to really shine and be a clear stand out model for people wanting to get even more grunt out of it.
If you're a fan of ATI, don't want to spend the money that's involved in going down the HD 5970 route, then this is a fantastic model for you. If you're gaming at the high 2560 x 1600 resolution as well, you can know with confidence that you're going to be out performing the GTX 480 in many situations.
What will be interesting now is what GIGABYTE will do with the SOC series and the new GTX 400 series of cards. We wouldn't recommend waiting for the simple fact that nothing has really been announced and the models would carry probably a $80 - $100 US price gain, but just from an excitement perspective it's going to be cool to find out what kind of clocks companies will offer with the new models.
At $499.99 over at Newegg right now it's one of the most expensive HD 5870s on the market. At the same time, it's one of the fastest HD 5870s on the market. Throw in the fact that the cooler offers similar noise levels to the stock one but significantly better temperatures and you're onto a winner of a model.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - BattleForge]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Darkest of Days]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Dark Void]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Elcomsoft Wireless Security Auditor]
- Page 16 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 19 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 20 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- 'Star Wars: Rebels' season 2 trailer reveals Vader, new friends & foes
- Disney-themed prosthetic hands are now a thing
- DARPA developing vehicle disappearing technology
- 'Toy Story 4' delayed by a whole year
- Samsung didn't infringe on NVIDIA patents, judge says
- Kingwin Power Dock PD-2537U3 Dual-Bay Clone Storage Station Review
- GA-X58A-UD3R Rev1 SSD Boot Order Issue.
- Help Updating GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2.0 Bios
- Got a Gaming 9 ACK X99S MSI MB to trade ..
- Bootloop Issue with GA-Z97N-WiFi even after RMA
- EVGA Gives Away Free Cooler Shroud Replacement to its HYBRID Series Owners
- Shuttle Offers Value Priced XPC Nano Small Form Factor PC
- MSI Announces the DS502 7.1 Gaming Headset with Active Noise-Cancelation
- Netgear Introduces Quad-Mode Business-Class Wireless-AC Access Points
- Nokia announces planned leadership and organizational structure for combined Nokia and Alcatel-Lucent