When it comes to performance the first thing we have to say is that the only time the GTX 285 is able to get a leg up on the HD 5870 is in Far Cry 2 with 8x AA on. Now, what is worth noting is that the numbers that we see out of the GTX 285 are still lower than the 30 FPS minimum that we need to see. The only card able to get over 30 FPS there was the GTX 295.
On the topic of the GTX 295, for the most part it's able to outperform the HD 5870 in just about every test; the only times it doesn't get a win is under CINEBENCH which for a lot of people won't matter. The other time we see it come out ahead is Clear Sky which has always favored the ATI offerings.
The bundle is a bit of a mixed bag when it comes to the HIS offering. We like the fact that they've chosen to include the cool little 7-in-1 mini tool kit, but we're annoyed that at the moment it's exclusive to Newegg.com customers only. With that said, though, we did ask HIS about it and they said they're working with more retailers and e-tailers to get it included in the bundle which we're happy about.
The HIS HD 5870 for the most part performs as you would expect a HD 5870 with stock clocks to perform; very well. If the HIS HD 5870 is the only HD 5870 you're able to get a hold of, there's nothing wrong with it and bar an extra game or something similar you're not going to be missing out on much.
What we're looking forward to is HIS taking the HD 5870 to the drawing board and giving us a Turbo or iCooler model that moves away from the norm. The HD 5870 is only going to get better and we have faith that HIS is one company that is going to make it better in the coming months.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [Video Card]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - PT Boats: Knights of the Sea]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH R10]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Crysis Warhead]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Clear Sky]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Left 4 Dead]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 13 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 14 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Deep Silver will publish Kingdom Come: Deliverance
- How you can reel in high pay as a software tester
- J.J. Abrams teases imminent Portal movie announcement
- Titanfall 2's story trailer is an amazing piece of work
- Forza Horizon 3 shows that Microsoft hates PC gaming
- ASRock Z87 EXTREME4 won't restart - debug code 4F
- ASUS X99-Deluxe II Motherboard Review
- U.2 Kit on Taichi
- Z170X-Gaming 5 - Thunderbolt controller + Intel RST drivers issue.
- Palit GeForce GTX 1070 GameRock Premium Edition Review
- Antec and Razer team up to co-brand a new Mini-ITX gaming chassis
- Samsung Electronics accelerates the NVMe era for consumers with its highest performing 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives
- Lighting is in the Aer: NZXT launches Aer RGB, premium LED PWM fans
- Syber Gaming delivers VR and 4K-ready 'C Series' small form factor gaming PC
- HyperX Gears of War gaming headset shipping now