ASUS has put together quite a nice video card. We can see that with the clocks on offer, performance is very similar to that of the Sapphire 2GB version that is also overclocked. The most important feature of the card though is the cooling and that's the whole idea behind the Formula line up of video cards.
We're glad to see that in this area the video card really shines, and I have to admit, it was going to be interesting to see how it compared to the Vapor-X version from Sapphire, which also uses its own aftermarket cooling solution. While noise levels were similar between the two products, when we looked at the core temperature, the ASUS solution was almost 20% cooler.
If this wasn't enough to get you excited about this particular HD 4890, you have to remember that ASUS also include the Voltage Tweak ability that we saw on one of their earlier model HD 4890 video cards. What this software did was give us the ability to achieve a core clock of 1000MHz and a memory clock of 4444MHz QDR. With the cooling numbers that we saw, you can feel confident moving the voltage higher than the stock of 1.312 volts.
In typical fashion, an ASUS version of any graphics card is going to set you back a few more dollars when compared to other brands. The good news is though that in this situation here too with this product, it seems pretty justified. ASUS set out to produce a video card that offers some impressive cooling numbers and it does that. If that's not enough though and you want some more power than with the Voltage Tweak software, you should be able to head towards a 1GHz core and higher memory clocks.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Card]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - PT Boats: Knights of the Sea]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH R10]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Crysis Warhead]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Clear Sky]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Left 4 Dead]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict - XP]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2 - XP]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Clear Sky - XP]
- Page 16 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- GeForce drivers, SLI profile prepare you for Battlefront beta
- Google wants to improve mobile web performance
- HP's 4K FreeSync monitor 'Envy' revealed
- Fly the Small But Mighty SKEYE Pico Drone
- CS:GO is majorly dysfunctional for Australians and in New Zealanders
- HighPoint RocketStor 6414AS Four-Bay Hardware RAID Tower Review
- I Was Wondering If Someone Could Help Me With Driver Issue For SATA3 z97
- PhotoFast i-FlashDrive MAX 32GB USB iOS Flash Drive Review
- SSI EEB support for Lian Li high end chassis
- Need help with a build
- Nokia announces planned leadership and organizational structure for combined Nokia and Alcatel-Lucent
- DOK SOLUTION UNVEILS CR09, 2 DEVICE CHARGER/CRADLE/CLOCK/SPEAKER/RADIO WITH 'SCD TECHNOLOGY' (SMART CURRENT DETECTION), NO MORE OVERCHARGING!
- FIRST CELLULAR ANDROID WEAR SMARTWATCH PREVIEWED AT LG EVENT
- LG UNVEILS V10, A SMARTPHONE DESIGNED WITH CREATIVITY IN MIND
- Marvell Teams Up with Google to Enable Chromecast 2.0 and Chromecast Audio