Today, AMD (NYSE: AMD) announced it has entered into a strategic licensing agreement with RealD Inc. (NYSE: RLD), which will pair AMD FirePro professional graphics with RealD's patented BlueLine technology to address the rapid adoption of 3D-capable displays and digital light processing (DLP) projectors in corporate boardrooms, educational institutions and the media and entertainment industry. This technology partnership provides industry-leading stereo 3D support in an all-in-one solution that enables control over each aspect of the 3D experience - the DLP projector, 3D software, and graphics card - from a single software control panel. AMD is the first and only professional graphics maker to provide this unique RealD support and will immediately extend BlueLine technology to the AMD FirePro V5900, with deployment to the latest AMD FirePro graphics cards based on Graphics Core Next (GCN) Architecture scheduled to occur over the coming months.
"AMD and RealD are responding to the expanding stereo 3D market, which has grown exponentially over the past several years," said David Cummings, senior director and general manager, Professional Graphics, AMD. "Whether you're working through computer-aided design (CAD) workflows, building CGI effects in movie studios or simply taking in a movie at the local theater, viewers will now experience improved stereo 3D video powered by AMD FirePro graphics and RealD. Together, we will deliver a more enjoyable and realistic 3D experience, while providing IT managers with an unmatched, turnkey stereo 3D solution."
Through this unique technology partnership, both companies are addressing the growing needs of a variety of industries. With a growing roster of organizations and corporations deploying, or seeking to deploy, 3D projector technology, AMD and RealD are now positioned to implement their industry-leading graphics and visualization technologies to seamlessly meet these requests. Examples of environments that can rapidly take advantage of this best-in-class stereo 3D technology include:
- Studio projection rooms;
- University theaters and classrooms;
- In-room video display rooms in corporate offices.
RealD and AMD will provide users a seamless solution to easily display 3D content," said Kevin Faul, vice president of Product Management for RealD. "Whether you're a school teacher using the newest 3D software for a classroom, or a theme park delivering an immersive virtual ride, RealD BlueLine assures reliable communication between AMD FirePro graphics cards and BlueLine-enabled projectors or other display devices."
The AMD FirePro V5900 is currently available from trusted e-tailers and immediately supports RealD BlueLine technology. All 3D-capable DLP projectors are either currently compatible with BlueLine or require a firmware upgrade. Both RealD and AMD FirePro graphics support Microsoft Windows 7. BlueLine is a discreet right- and left-eye frame identifier technology for stereoscopic 3D images. When AMD graphic cards with BlueLine technology are paired with BlueLine-enabled displays, the technology prevents 3D images from being displayed backwards and solves a long-standing challenge of properly and easily displaying 3D content.
Learn more about the AMD Professional Graphics
Learn more about GCN Architecture
Follow AMD graphics news on Twitter at @AMDFirePro
Become a fan of AMD technology on Facebook
Latest News Posts
- Battlefield 1's dynamic weather more than just a gimmick
- Pioneer the next AI breakthrough with machine learning
- Google to punish mobile sites with intrusive advertising
- Battlefield 1 Premium includes just four expansions
- 3 apps all PC owners need to protect their data
- Samsung Galaxy Note 7 - Is Bigger Always Better?
- Are LianLi case fans any good?
- GAMDIAS Hermes RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Really hot idle temps on X99 Extreme 4/3.1
- Trouble with upgrading RAM GA-H55M-S2V
- CAPE Audio shakes up the headphone industry with the release of Rebellion Headphones
- Tesoro announces ambidextrous, White Sharur SE Spectrum gaming mouse
- Eurocom launches worlds first GTX 1080 SLI VR-Ready laptop
- Thermaltake new Pacific RGB G1/4 PETG Tube 16mm OD 12mm ID 6 liquid-cooling fittings with 1 RGB LED lighting controller
- Cooler Master announces the MasterMouse Pro L