Today, AMD (NYSE: AMD) announced it has entered into a strategic licensing agreement with RealD Inc. (NYSE: RLD), which will pair AMD FirePro professional graphics with RealD's patented BlueLine technology to address the rapid adoption of 3D-capable displays and digital light processing (DLP) projectors in corporate boardrooms, educational institutions and the media and entertainment industry. This technology partnership provides industry-leading stereo 3D support in an all-in-one solution that enables control over each aspect of the 3D experience - the DLP projector, 3D software, and graphics card - from a single software control panel. AMD is the first and only professional graphics maker to provide this unique RealD support and will immediately extend BlueLine technology to the AMD FirePro V5900, with deployment to the latest AMD FirePro graphics cards based on Graphics Core Next (GCN) Architecture scheduled to occur over the coming months.
"AMD and RealD are responding to the expanding stereo 3D market, which has grown exponentially over the past several years," said David Cummings, senior director and general manager, Professional Graphics, AMD. "Whether you're working through computer-aided design (CAD) workflows, building CGI effects in movie studios or simply taking in a movie at the local theater, viewers will now experience improved stereo 3D video powered by AMD FirePro graphics and RealD. Together, we will deliver a more enjoyable and realistic 3D experience, while providing IT managers with an unmatched, turnkey stereo 3D solution."
Through this unique technology partnership, both companies are addressing the growing needs of a variety of industries. With a growing roster of organizations and corporations deploying, or seeking to deploy, 3D projector technology, AMD and RealD are now positioned to implement their industry-leading graphics and visualization technologies to seamlessly meet these requests. Examples of environments that can rapidly take advantage of this best-in-class stereo 3D technology include:
- Studio projection rooms;
- University theaters and classrooms;
- In-room video display rooms in corporate offices.
RealD and AMD will provide users a seamless solution to easily display 3D content," said Kevin Faul, vice president of Product Management for RealD. "Whether you're a school teacher using the newest 3D software for a classroom, or a theme park delivering an immersive virtual ride, RealD BlueLine assures reliable communication between AMD FirePro graphics cards and BlueLine-enabled projectors or other display devices."
The AMD FirePro V5900 is currently available from trusted e-tailers and immediately supports RealD BlueLine technology. All 3D-capable DLP projectors are either currently compatible with BlueLine or require a firmware upgrade. Both RealD and AMD FirePro graphics support Microsoft Windows 7. BlueLine is a discreet right- and left-eye frame identifier technology for stereoscopic 3D images. When AMD graphic cards with BlueLine technology are paired with BlueLine-enabled displays, the technology prevents 3D images from being displayed backwards and solves a long-standing challenge of properly and easily displaying 3D content.
Learn more about the AMD Professional Graphics
Learn more about GCN Architecture
Follow AMD graphics news on Twitter at @AMDFirePro
Become a fan of AMD technology on Facebook
Latest News Posts
- Samsung making next-gen 4K mobile displays with 800PPI
- HIS roars, launches their Radeon RX 500 series cards
- Intel launching 12C/24T chips with X299 on May 30
- GTA V is teaching autonomous cars how to drive
- Twitch plans to rope YouTubers with new tip system
- Hidrate Spark 2.0 Bluetooth Smart Bottle Review
- Asus MCE remote IR codes required
- Looking for instant flash bios files for P67 Pro3 B3
- Planet Earth II 4K Blu-ray Review
- Promise Technology Apollo Cloud 2TB Review
- AmpliFi HD Mesh Wi-Fi Available at Best Buy, GameStop and Sam's Club
- Nokia announces next-generation technologies for the advancement of virtual reality with 'OZO Reality' vision and partner ecosystem
- Razer expands the Razer Hammerhead v2 in-ear audio line with Bluetooth and iOS Lightning models
- MSI announces new thin and light GP62X and GP72X Leopard Pro Series gaming laptops
- EK is releasing Full-Cover water blocks for the ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti