Seagate Technology Reports Fiscal First Quarter 2010 Results
- Quarterly revenue of $2.66 billion
- Establishes long-term gross margin target of 22-26%
- Fiscal year-to-date debt reduction of $685 million
SCOTTS VALLEY, Calif. - October 20, 2009 - Seagate Technology (NASDAQ: STX) today reported financial results for the quarter ended October 2, 2009 of 46.3 million disk drive unit shipments, revenue of $2.66 billion, gross margin of 24.5%, net income of $179 million and diluted earnings per share of $0.35. The financial results for the quarter include $10 million of purchased intangibles amortization, $46 million of restructuring and a write down of long-lived assets of $64 million. The aggregate impact of these items is $120 million or approximately $0.23 per share.
During the first fiscal quarter, Seagate reduced short-term borrowings and long-term debt by approximately $465 million primarily with the maturity of its $300 million floating rate senior notes and by paying down its revolving credit facility by $150 million. Subsequent to the end of the first fiscal quarter, Seagate paid off the remaining balance of its revolving credit facility of $200 million and made open market purchases of $20 million, bringing the total debt reduction during fiscal 2010 to approximately $685 million.
"At a time when economic conditions remained challenging we are very pleased with the company's financial performance, delivering strong revenues, margins and cash generation," said Steve Luczo, Seagate CEO. "The company has returned to its operating model well ahead of our expectations of six months ago and now expects to sustain gross margin of 22-26%. Although mission critical enterprise demand in particular has yet to recover to historical levels, we benefitted from our time-to-market product delivery to customers integrating our notebook, desktop and enterprise drives."
While visibility has improved throughout the calendar year, the ongoing uncertainty in global economic conditions makes it difficult to predict product demand and other related matters, which makes it more likely that Seagate's actual results could differ materially from current expectations.
For the December quarter, the company is planning for the overall industry demand for disk drives to be 153 - 160 million units. As a result, the company expects revenue to be approximately $2.75 - $2.85 billion and gross margin as a percent of revenue to be near the high end of the company's targeted range of 22-26%. In today's financial results conference call, the company will also provide an update on current and expected business conditions, including key underlying assumptions, for its financial outlook for fiscal year 2010.
The December quarter outlook does not include the impact of any potential new restructuring activities, future mergers, acquisitions, financing, dispositions or other business combinations the company may undertake. The company's policy is to refrain from commenting on any such activities.
Additional information relating to the financial results for the fiscal first quarter of 2010 can be found online at seagate.com.
Seagate will hold a conference call to review the fiscal first quarter results at 2:00 p.m. Pacific Time today. The conference call can be accessed online at seagate.com or by phone as follows:
USA: (800) 591-6945
International: (617) 614-4911
Participant Passcode: 40885241
A replay will be available beginning today at 6:00 p.m. Pacific Time. The replay can be accessed from seagate.com.
Seagate is the world leader in hard disk drives and storage solutions. Learn more at seagate.com.
Latest News Posts
- KINGPIN teams up with EVGA to smash 3DMark records with his GTX 980 Ti
- EA confirms new Battlefield game for 2016
- Windows 10 makes you pay $10 to remove ads from Solitaire
- Mozilla unhappy about Microsoft's Edge web browser default
- President Obama wants the US to have the fastest supercomputer by 2025
- P67A-UD4-B3 Windows 10
- On Z97 Anniversary: No networking devices supported by Windows 10?
- Addonics AD2U31PX2 USB 3.1 2-Port PCIe 2X Add-On Card Review
- GA-Z87X-UD4H - System Crash During AppCenter Update. Am I Hosed?
- Amped Wireless TAP-EX2 AC750 Wireless Range Extender Review
- Innodata Reports Second Quarter 2015 Results
- MSI Launches Lean, Mean Gaming Machine, the Nightblade MI
- ADATA Launches the HD720 Rugged External Hard Drive
- Sharkoon Announces QuickPort XT Duo Clone and QuickPort XT HC Drive Docks
- Nexon and Electronic Arts to Bring PC Online Titanfal Experience to Asia