Today we are going to take another look at Seagate's 600 series SSD. We've already checked out the 240GB Seagate 600 running in RAID 0, and found it to be a blistering fast, enthusiast-class SSD, with the most predictable, and consistent, long term performance of any SSD array we've tested to date.
Today we have a larger, yet smaller, version in the 600 series line of SSD's. Yes, you read that right: smaller, and larger, at the same time. The pair of 480GB drives we've got on the bench today are a larger capacity, yet they are physically smaller than the 240GB 600's we reviewed a few reports ago. Seagate is the only SSD manufacturer I know of that has brought a 5mm thick variant to the market. There are other companies that plan to release 5mm thick drives, but as far as I know, the Seagate 600 series is the only SSD being sold right now that features this new, super-slim, 2.5 inch form factor.
When 7mm thick SSD's were first introduced, they seemed so much sleeker, and more elegant than ordinary 9.5mm thick drives. The same can be said of 5mm thick drives, whether they be SSD's, or spinners. 5mm variants look and feel sleeker, and have a more elegant feel to them in comparison to thicker drives. The Seagate 600 series SSD already has an air of quality about it. The heft of the unit, as well as its minimalistic and mono-chromatic styling, all combine to form a piece of hardware that exudes quality.
The Seagate 600 series 5mm thick SSD is physically the most elegant drive I've ever held in my hands, but looks take a back seat to performance here at TweakTown. The 480GB 600's we're going to test today have the exact same performance specifications as the 240GB 600's we previously tested; however, experience tells us that different capacity drives, though they may carry the same specifications, usually have a different performance curve. Let's see what that performance curve looks like with a one terabyte, two drive array of Seagate 600 goodness strapped to our bench.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Seagate 600 480GB SSD]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup, Drive Properties & ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark 7]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark 8]
- Page 11 [Secondary Volume Benchmarks - Blackmagicdesign's Disk Speed Test]
- Page 12 [Secondary Volume Benchmarks - Disk Response Times]
- Page 13 [Secondary Volume Benchmarks - DiskBench]
- Page 14 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.