Before proceeding any further I would like to point out that any of the following steps involving double sided tape can be replaced with a good quality plastic glue or epoxy. I like to use tape for a few reasons - the first being it is a lot easier to work with than glue, and secondly it makes it possible to reverse the mod allowing for the drive to be used again in another build or PC. I have myself used glue for past stealth mods fearing the adhesive quality of double sided tape. But I can assure you the tape (as long as its high quality) will hold, easily supporting the complete weight of the optical drive.
As this mod revolves around moving parts, we need to make sure everything has room to move freely and without any sort of obstructions. This is a relatively simple task starting with the 5.25 bay cover we found earlier. Remove the mounting clips from the rear of the panel, this will allow for the door to move in and out trouble free.
I would also recommend skimming back the inside of the bay just a touch for this I like to use a fine flat file.
With everything "shaved" down it's time to get it all lined up and put together. Cut a five inch strip of mounting tape making sure to only have one side exposed at this point stick the piece to the optical drives drawer.
The next step is the most complicated things are going to get, which is lining up your drawer with your 5.25 cover. I find the easiest way to go about this is by placing the optical drive back into your PC pushing it further to the back of the 5.25 cage than normal. Unpeel the remaining backing from the tape.
Carefully position the bay cover into its normal location in front of the drive, and whilst holding the cover in place, push the drive towards the front of the case. If done correctly the two components should adhere together without the hassle of pulling out the measuring tape.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Impressive! 1 billion people used Facebook in just one day
- Valve is bundling Rocket League with the Steam Controller
- Acer is welcoming a takeover of the company after share prices tumble
- HTC will have a 'limited number' of Vive VR headsets this year
- Microsoft announces that Forza Motorsport 6 has gone gold
- Buffalo WXR-1900DHP DD-WRT NXT AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- ASRock Extreme4 x99 boot failure with more than 2 G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GRBB
- [Share]Lorkag GOP updater tool for AMD and NVIDIA VBIOS
- AMD Radeon R9 Nano Preview - Fiji and HBM Go Under the Shrink Ray
- Win7 wont install on AM1A-M system
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20