I don't know what it is, but even with some games really seeing no performance boost, you can't help but love this setup. The good news is unlike the old days, there's no negative performance that is going to affect your overall gaming experience.
What we mean by that is when your Far Cry 2 minimum moves from 110 FPS to 90 FPS, your gaming experience isn't going to be affected. Under Lost Planet 2 as well we see a game that is just super intensive and is able to make fantastic use of the setup here. That one real world test shows us exactly what this setup is capable of and tells us that you don't need to have an insane triple screen monitor setup to make real use of what's on offer here.
What's funny about this setup is that the rational side of my mind just says that you can't really recommend this to most people unless they're running a massive screen setup. My giddy geek inside of me, though, says if you're on a 2560 x 1440 or 1600 monitor, go for it.
Games are getting more intensive and you can see at 2560 x 1600 a single card only just gets the 60 FPS we need to play. This setup blows that out of the water and that's exactly what you want from a setup that costs this much.
It's also the kind of setup you're going to want when we see these massive resolution 120Hz screens and the average you demand moves from 60 FPS to 120 FPS. Maybe the future proofing argument is a little premature, but Lost Planet 2, probably the most intensive game we test that also makes use of tessellation in a heavy way, really paints a picture of what the setup is capable of. And with some big name titles coming out this year you can understand why people would opt for this kind of setup.
For the most part the HD 6990 offers more power than most people need, and then this setup just offers even more power again. I can't wait to really make use of the setup in some mad triple screen benchmarking, though, which is something you need to keep an eye out for in the coming weeks.
But if you're a 2560 x 1600 user it's worth knowing that with even a single screen you can make use of this setup in the super intensive games that are made even more intensive with AA and AF.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, The Card and Specifications]
- Page 2 [Test System Setup and 3DMark 11]
- Page 3 [3DMark Vantage]
- Page 4 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Temperature Test]
- Page 15 [Sound Test]
- Page 16 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 17 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 18 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 19 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Dell unveils a new 27-inch QHD G-Sync monitor, priced at $799
- 'The Iron Giant' theatrical re-release gets first trailer
- Apple already putting pressure on Fitbit in wearables market
- Charge ALL the Things With a 4-Port USB Hub
- Trying to prevent drones from dropping contraband into prisons is hard
- Buffalo WXR-1900DHP DD-WRT NXT AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- ASRock Extreme4 x99 boot failure with more than 2 G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GRBB
- [Share]Lorkag GOP updater tool for AMD and NVIDIA VBIOS
- AMD Radeon R9 Nano Preview - Fiji and HBM Go Under the Shrink Ray
- Win7 wont install on AM1A-M system
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20