It's really been ages since we looked at a GTX 480 aside from the Galaxy Super OC we looked at the other day which can be found here. Sure, we've had a look at it with a dedicated PhysX card and more recently we looked at it with the latest driver, but when it comes to looking at the card in a standard review, because we only got hold of the one card it's been ages.
Galaxy managed to do a superb job with this GTX 480. The cooler fixes the issues we had seen with the reference card while giving us even more performance. As it's been so long since we've overclocked the model and the fact that the Galaxy version is so much meaner than the reference one, we thought it was time to look at overclocking again.
There's really no point rambling on anymore. Look below to find out what happened with our OC and jump straight to the next page to get into the performance.
Galaxy has already done quite a nice job with the overclock of the card, giving us a 760MHz / 1520MHz / 3800MHz QDR, Core / Shader / Memory setup; this compared to the 701MHz / 1401MHz / 3696MHz QDR setup seen on the reference card. We managed to see a nice bump in performance that clearly separated the card from its reference part.
Bumping the voltage to 1.138v, we managed to achieve not only a good OC compared to what the Super OC offers us out of the box, but a great OC compared to the reference clocks.
What we ended up with was a core clock of 880MHz, Shader clock of 1760MHz and a memory clock of 4500MHz QDR. This is indeed a very nice increase in clock speeds and higher than the clocks we achieved on the reference GIGABYTE GTX 480. We should see some really good gains thanks to these numbers.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Overclocking]
- Page 2 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 3 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Final Fantasy XIV]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - PhysX Tests]
- Page 15 [Temperature Test]
- Page 16 [Sound Test]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 19 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 20 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.