Patriot recently released a third new consumer SSD, the Ignite series. The Blaze and Torch models, both also new, satisfy Patriot's HDD replacement and low-cost tiers. The Ignite series, built around Phison's 8-core S10 controller, puts Patriot in the performance market as well.
We talked about the new Phison S10 controller in limited detail in the Corsair Neutron XT preview a few months back. When we first wrote about the S10, many features were missing, like DEVSLP for increased notebook battery life and firmware focused on delivering consistent performance under heavy extended workloads. When we saw the first Ignite advertisement in the Fry's weekly circular, we hoped the advanced features were ready, but found that wasn't the case. Still, the 960GB model advertised at Fry's for $390 intrigued us, even if the feature set is premature.
Specifications, Pricing and Availability
At the time of writing, Patriot only lists two capacity sizes for the Ignite series: the 480GB model we're testing today and a large 960GB model we hope to test in the future. Patriot lists both models with up to 560 MB/s sequential read and 545 MB/s sequential write speeds. Although not shown on this specifications list, another page on Patriot's website shows random performance at 80,000 IOPS read and 75,000 IOPS write.
The Phison S10 controller is one of the first to market with LDCP error correction technology. This allows the controller to work with a wide span of flash, from high endurance MLC to low-cost TLC with very low endurance ratings.
Patriot chose to use Micron 16nm MLC flash for the Ignite 480GB we're testing today. The choice led to Patriot's ability to sell the Ignite products for such a low cost. As we mentioned in the introduction, the 960GB model sells for a low as $390 with a mail-in-rebate (now $379.99 at Newegg). We found the Ignite 480GB at Newegg for $199.99.
Patriot backs the Ignite products with a three-year warranty. Inside we found the SSD and a paper manual.
PRICING: You can find the Patriot Ignite 480GB for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The Patriot Ignite 480GB retails for $189.99 at Amazon.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Colorful announces iGame GTX 1080 Ti Vulcan X OC
- What Zelda: Breath of the Wild would look like on NES
- Blizzard paves the way for Diablo II Remastered
- NASA astronaut sets a new record for time spent in space
- Alien Isolation 2 might be in development
- Intel Optane Memory 32GB M.2 NVMe SSD Review
- ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 K6 USB 3.1/TB Issues
- HyperX Pulsefire FPS Gaming Mouse Review
- Hidrate Spark 2.0 Bluetooth Smart Bottle Review
- Asus MCE remote IR codes required
- SAPPHIRE introduces new PULSE graphics card family
- HyperX Cloud Revolver S gaming headset now shipping
- SK Hynix introduces industry's fastest 8Gb graphics DRAM (GDDR6)
- Samsung and Amazon Video deliver next generation HDR video experience with updated open standard HDR10+
- AmpliFi HD Mesh Wi-Fi Available at Best Buy, GameStop and Sam's Club