Toshiba launches the world's first notebook with 512GB SSD'
SYDNEY, 14 May 2009 - Adding a new record to its ever growing world's first list, Toshiba Information Systems Division (ISD) today launched the Portege R600 - the world's first notebook with 512GB SSD (solid state drive).
With a density four times that of the next SSD integrated model, the Portege R600 now protects and stores more of your data than ever before. The new model will be available in Australia from June and will come with 3G mobile broadband (RRP $4,999 incl GST).
Packed with protection and performance
Accidents do happen, and with no mechanical hard drive or internal moving parts, SSD technology almost eliminates the risk of losing any data that could occur through the constant bumps, knocks and vibrations of everyday use. So as your notebook moves with you from the desktop to the coffee shop, to the aeroplane, you can be sure that important files are cocooned from the rough and tumble of daily life.
The integration of SSD reinforces the performance excellence of the Portege R600, making it the perfect notebook to use beyond the front door and out on the road. Using a 2-bit-per-cell multi-level NAND flash memory at the 43nm process generation, the Portege R600 now has the world's largest SSD capacity, which means more space for the information that is important to you.
"Toshiba was the first to innovate the notebook computer more than 20 years ago, and today we've stepped up the mark again to the world's first notebook with 512GB SSD," said Matthew Tumminello, business product marketing manager Australia and New Zealand, Toshiba ISD. "With a 512GB SSD, the 'rugged' Portege R600 not only keeps your data safe, but saves energy and gives you more room to store your most valuable information."
More power to you and the environment
To allow the new SSD to cut power consumption, a newly developed controller enables high-speed parallel processing with the multi-level NAND flash memory. This cuts power consumption by approximately 50%, meaning less environmental impact, whilst boosting data access speeds to approximately 200% for read (max 230MB per sec) and approximately150%  for write (max 180MB per sec), compared to a hard disc drive (HDD).
Additionally, the Portege R600 has an energy-saving design that cuts power consumption by adopting an ultra-low voltage CPU. Its trans-reflective LCD also uses natural sunlight to make screen images more visible even without switching on the backlight.
Offering true mobility, the Portege R600 has a light, (approx 1,095g) thin (19.5mm to 25.5mm) design that integrates the essential features for mobile notebooks, including long-time battery operation (up to 8 hours).
Toshiba is a world leader and innovator in pioneering high technology, a diversified manufacturer and marketer of advanced electronic and electrical products spanning information & communications systems; digital consumer products; electronic devices and components; power systems, including nuclear energy; industrial and social infrastructure systems; and home appliances.
Toshiba was founded in 1875, and today operates a global network of more than 730 companies, with 199,000 employees worldwide and annual sales surpassing US$67 billion. Visit Toshiba's web site at http://www.toshiba.co.jp/index.htm
Latest News Posts
- Quentin Tarantino explains his love for 70mm, says it trumps digital
- Man gets shot, instead of calling the cops, he grabs an Uber home
- New Fallout 4 mod dramatically overhauls in-game landscapes
- Apple rumored to remove the 3.5mm headphone jack from the next iPhone
- Just Cause 3's map is huge, covering 400 square miles
- wifi card for gigabyte x99m gaming 5 microatx
- Newly built PC won't boot
- Spectre (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- New ASUS Notebook: Event Log flooding with Event ID 17 warnings from WHEA-Logger
- Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide Graphics Performance Tweak Guide
- BRAVEN Balance, the Active Lifestyle Bluetooth Speaker Now Available
- COGITO FIT WINS DESIGN FOR ASIA AWARD
- SP/ Silicon Power Announces Flagship CompactFlash Memory Card - Superior CF 1100X Born For Ultimate Performance
- Team Group Announces Neptune Gaming SO-DIMM Memory
- Cooltek Announces the Skall Series ATX Mid-tower Chassis