As you can see, we have a very diverse group of coolers here. Ideally, all of the coolers would fit on the same series of graphics card, but that is not the case here. Most of the cards fit or are made specifically for the GeForce 8800GTX, so when possible that is what we used for testing. Across four different graphics cards we used for testing, these comprise the GeForce 8800GTX, 8800GT, ATI X1950 XT and ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT.
When installing an aftermarket VGA cooler it is important to remember a couple of things. First, have the correct tools on hand. Nearly all of the screws that VGA coolers use for the cards are small; this isn't the time to try to use your car keys as screwdrivers. Investing in a set of jewelers screwdrivers (the small ones) is recommended. The second thing to remember when installing a VGA Cooler is that FutureMark does not have a VGA Cooler Install Benchmark. Take your time; many of the coolers parts are small and it can be lost very quickly. Pay attention to all the areas that require cooling, usually the GPU, memory, RAMDAC (a small chip towards the front of the card) and VRM chips require some type of cooling.
Finally, yet importantly, work in a clean environment. Many of the memory heatsinks are attached with double-sided thermal tape, once they lose adhesion due to dirt or dust you can't wipe them off to clean them.
For the most part, all of the coolers tested installed easily. All of the instruction manuals are written well and you will not find any surprises along the way. Some of the coolers did possess little features that make them stand out from the others.
The two Arctic Cooling VGA Coolers use fan connectors that plug directly into the video card. If you are like me and like to keep your case wiring tidy this is a handy feature. Besides the aesthetics, the graphics card retains its ability to regulate the fan speed; factory software such as nTune also retains its ability to control the fan speed.
If you crave a physical knob then the GIGABYTE V-Power and APACK ZEROtherm Hurricane HC92 Cu 8800 come with external fan speed controllers that allow you to fine tune the performance and acoustics to your personal preference.
Two of the coolers, the Thermalright HR-03 GT and Auras Fridge come passive out of the box. If you are planning to mount these coolers on high performance cards like the 8800 series or equivalent I would suggest using a fan. For our testing, we used 92mm and 120mm Nexus fans from their Silent Series. Both produced very good results while still maintaining an acoustic level well below the factory heatsinks.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme 2900]
- Page 3 [Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme 8800]
- Page 4 [Auras Fridge (JES-988)]
- Page 5 [Coolink GFXChilla]
- Page 6 [GIGABYTE V-Power]
- Page 7 [Thermaltake DuOrb]
- Page 8 [Thermaltake TMG ND5]
- Page 9 [Thermalright HR-03 GT]
- Page 10 [APACK ZEROtherm Hurricane HC92 Cu 8800]
- Page 11 [Testing Methodology]
- Page 12 [Testing Results]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Get Trained (and Certified) in Cloud Computing for $39
- Take to the campaign trail with The Political Machine 2016
- Rise of the Tomb Raider's latest patch improves HBAO+, and more
- Twitter has shut down over 125,000 accounts for promoting terrorism
- Google AI, Go champ match will be broadcast live on YouTube in March
- [SSD compatibility question] GA-X58A-UD3R with Samsung EVO Pro SSD
- I am the new guy
- The Hateful Eight (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- SSD compatibility
- ASrock z170 extreme 7+ Post code 00
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to IntelÃ'Â® Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance