How do you test an anti-virus??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you test an anti-virus??

Does anyone know of a "fake virus" or something like that, which I can download to see if my AV prog. catches it?
    I'm using Panda Titanium & I guess I'm satisfied with it, cause it has just been setting in the tray, behaving properly, for a couple weeks.
    I ran a FULL check a day or so ago, & it found nothing, which is what I'd like it to do. It DID find 1 the day I loaded Panda that got past Avast, I think that was it's name.
    I run a firewall & have most of my ports stealthed because I average about 14-18 hrs a day on-line. I have downloaded virus's in the past, but either i've been real lucky lately, or Panda is doing exactly what it's supposed to do, find them & kill them quietly!!
    But I would like to test it, just not with a live one!!
    Anybody got any ideas?? THX in advance.

The Dog

I know in my antivirus read me file they give you a string of code to copy into a file. Once you save that code into a file and scan, it should find it as a virus.

Comment

its called the EICAR antivirus test file and its a standard among antivirus software companies for testing puposes.

brab one here if you are too lazy to copy/paste.

Comment

well no offence to anyone but that imo EICAR is a POS now.
        its been so obsolete that you can't really trust it.
        the first thing every AV company would do is to add support for EICAR...why u might ask and the answer would be that its been so popularised now.
        almost every AV software talks about it in their knowledge bases and i guess that there are very remote chances that you will find an AV not catching it correctly. it was good thing to test a few years ago ie. when it was launched; but NOW...:thumbs do

i would suggest that you be happy with the AV you've got and go for an online scan once in a month so that you are sure about being clean.
        Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
        Last Updated:
        10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
        ======================
        jabber : [email protected]
        =======================
        Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
        yabaa dabaa doo...
        Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Itried it & it done what it was supposed 2 do. The site had the virus in 4 different forms & it worked on all of them. I feel a little more at ease now. THX ya'll.

Comment

A couple of pretty good online scanners;
            Detect and fix viruses, worms, spyware, and other malicious threats for free.

The best antivirus protection for all your devices: Don't be a target! Join the next generation of digital protection

One of the favorite AV softwares around her is AVG;
            Download free antivirus and malware protection. Tune up your PC, Mac, & Android. Encrypt your connection and browse anonymously with a VPN.
            The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

THX C. I'll check it out. Panda seems OK, but it's only been a few days, so I might change in the future. A few years ago, I had excellent luck with the free version of INoculateIT, but they don't support it anymore.

Comment

I've used the free version of AVG for a few years now and have never been let down yet. :devil win

Comment

I also use AVG, never had a problem

Comment

I downloaded the free version last nite & most likely will install it in a few days. I liked what I saw.

Comment

I think you will find it not only effective, but also easy on precious system resources when compared to other anti-virus solutions.

Of course, if you are not satisfied, you can always try another:)
                      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

A definate Candidate for AVG, and run that alongside a Zone Alarm Firewall, which also has an inbuilt AV, and you can't go too far wrong :smokin:

Comment

THX ya'll.

Comment

another fan of AVG here as well...but I like to run online AV scans from time to time too

Symantec Security Check

Trend Micro Housecall

Comment

At a LAN once there was a case of a Nimo Codec pack that had been infected and distributed containing many virii, I had this and installed it unknowingly, Norton, McAfee and Panda wouldn't pick it up, yet AVG and PC Cillin 2003 did. I know which one I trust :cheers:

Comment

Working...
                              X