- Improved cooling: ASUS caught considerable flak for its crazy GPU core and VRM temperatures, pushing out a revised thermal solution for its TUF Gaming X3 Radeon RX 5700 XT EVO graphics card -- and it shows. This review is a testament to that, something that ASUS deserves credit for. It listened, reacted -- and we have a better product because of it.
- TUF style: I actually kinda dig the styling choices ASUS made with the TUF Gaming X3 RX 5700 XT EVO, the backplate is one of the best styled for its price range and the triple-fan cooler looks mean AF.
- Triple fan cooler: I dig the triple-fan cooler, but it also means we have a chunky near 3-slot graphics card.
- Great 1080p/1440p performance: AMD offers stellar price/performance ratios with its Radeon RX 5700 XT and the TUF Gaming X3 Radeon RX 5700 XT EVO is no different -- you'll have no problems with gaming at high FPS at both 1080p and 1440p on this card.
- Not the best RX 5700 XT: There are better RX 5700 XT cards on the market, but ASUS is going for the value here. If you want a better RX 5700 XT then ASUS has its ROG STRIX family of cards, too. The competitors in MSI, ASRock and XFX are also up on offer -- all faring better than the ASUS TUF Gaming X3 Radeon RX 5700 XT EVO.
ASUS doesn't have a bad card with its ASUS TUF Gaming X3 Radeon RX 5700 XT EVO, it's just not the best custom RX 5700 XT on the market and doesn't really have a place.
If you couldn't buy another RX 5700 XT, would you buy this? Probably yeah -- the new revised thermal solution improves the card in all the right ways. It's a much cooler operating card now and falls better in line with its competitors -- although, in saying that ASUS should never have let the TUF Gaming X3 Radeon RX 5700 XT EVO out in the first place with that shoddy thermal design.
I expect much more from ASUS and it's hard to forgive them for that, but you have to give them credit for listening to reviewers and consumers. They went back to the drawing board, made the required tweaks to the card and re-released it. I didn't have the first wave of cards, but I do have the second wave here and can now happily write ASUS has fixed the issues that pissed people off.
Should you buy the ASUS TUF Gaming X3 Radeon RX 5700 XT EVO graphics card? Sure. If you're gaming at 1920 x 1080 (1080p) or 2560 x 1440 (1440p) then you're going to have zero issues here. You'll hit 60FPS in AAA games without a problem, and 120FPS+ in esports titles like Apex Legends, Overwatch, League of Legends, CS:GO, and more.
The revised cooler helps it fall in line with competing Radeon RX 5700 XT graphics cards, so you're buying this for the TUF styling. If you have a TUF-branded motherboard and wanted the best custom TUF-branded Radeon graphics card, then the ASUS TUF Gaming X3 Radeon RX 5700 XT EVO is an easy purchase.
Would I have recommended the original ASUS TUF Gaming X3 Radeon RX 5700 XT EVO? Nope.
I didn't test it but from reading reviews and consumer comments across the internet and Reddit, it was far too hot and had sub-par cooling that I expect from ASUS. How can you validate a graphics card with 144 hours of testing and all this engineering marvel that goes into it... and not have heat sinks on GDDR6 that runs ridiculously hot?
ASUS: you get a nod for listening to the community and fixing your issues. But please, don't let it happen again.
But the revised ASUS TUF Gaming X3 Radeon RX 5700 XT EVO is a great card for the money, something that would make any Radeon gamer happy.
Last updated: Jun 7, 2020 at 10:09 pm CDT
The Bottom Line
ASUS improves the glaring issues of its TUF Gaming X3 Radeon RX 5700 XT EVO, with greatly improved GDDR6 temperatures. It is TUF enough for you? Now it is!