When I first heard from NZXT that they wanted to send me their digital PSU I was interested. Since NZXT found ways to make a core chassis series that is unique, chic, and modern feeling across the board, I was excited to see what they could do in the PSU arena.
NZXT did not disappoint as they created a PSU series that fits well in the styling of their chassis. The CAM software is usable and ensures you can monitor and adjust your PSU as you desire. The PSU also as you observed in our testing, can pull well above its rated wattage class.
What we like
I feel like NZXT worked with the right people on this PSU. The E series, if they are all to the same level as the E850 I received today, are reliable options for enthusiasts' users. The sleek aesthetic adds to the appeal of the supply, especially if you can see it in your chassis. The CAM control integration works well, and while we had some early hiccups, they were quickly sorted with an update to the software.
What we would like to see improved
I would like to see the E series come out of the box with a notification to users that the PSU comes default in silent mode so the fan may not spin. Also, I would like to see the button that reveals the chart for plotting fan curves to be more apparent or just open automatically. I stumbled onto that discovery by clicking around the software, but I could see several users missing it entirely.
NZXT carved out a nice niche for itself with a stylish PSU option, but there are other options with slightly higher efficiency at this price point. This means it will lose some value points, but overall I observed no adverse activity or issue that would deter me from seeing the E850 as being worth its asking price.
NZXT offers one hell of a power supply with the E850, and it is interesting to see where their PSU offerings will go from here.
Shannon's Power Supply Test System Specifications
- Motherboard: ASUS Zenith Extreme Alpha (buy from Amazon)
- CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX (buy from Amazon)
- Cooler: Custom Alphacool CPU Liquid Cooling (buy from Amazon)
- Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3000MHz 32GB (buy from Amazon)
- Video Card: NVIDIA TITAN V (buy from Amazon)
- Video Card: NVIDIA TITAN Xp Collectors Edition (buy from Amazon)
- Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti (buy from Amazon)
- Storage: SanDisk M.2 256GB
- Power Supply: NZXT E850 850W Gold Digital ATX Power Supply (buy from Amazon)
- OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit (buy from Amazon)
Last updated: Feb 9, 2020 at 06:11 am CST
The Bottom Line
NZXT's E850 performed well above expectations, and is well recommended. If the price dropped around $10 - $15, it would be unbeatable.
NZXT E850 850W Gold Digital ATX Power Supply
|Today||Yesterday||7 days ago||30 days ago|
* Prices last scanned on 3/29/2020 at 11:28 pm CDT - prices may not be accurate, click links above for the latest price. We may earn an affiliate commission.