The 1TB Mushkin Helix-L performs much better in real-world applications than the synthetic workloads and specifications sheet lead us to believe. If your daily computing involves gaming and typical office activities, then the Helix-L is a strong low-cost option you should seriously consider.
The 1TB drive currently sells for less than $100 at Amazon, and that's a real bargain. There are products that deliver better performance, and SATA SSDs in this capacity that cost less, but the combination and overall value is strong with this model. The two smaller capacity drives priced at just $37.99 (250GB) and $54.99 (500GB) show strong potential when it comes to overall value. If you run a system with more than one drive and need a new boot drive with low latency, the smaller drives are worthy of consideration, too.
The real trouble comes in when you have a little more money to spend. Mushkin's new flagship model, Pilot-E, currently sells for just $139.99 in the 1TB capacity size. It's $40 more, nearly a third, but if you want the extra performance for heavier workloads, it's difficult to pass up.
For most of us, the Helix-L will deliver a strong user experience and give us years of enjoyment. We wish Mushkin would bring more 2TB models to market since the company's price points are so strong. Mushkin is one of the price-performance leaders right now and has been for the last couple of years. The Helix-L is another model that doesn't have a big following, and people rarely talk about, but it's one of the better options for cost-conscious shoppers available today.
The Bottom Line
The Mushkin Helix-L is one of the best values available today for shoppers looking for a great user experience without the bill to go with it.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Sony won't abandon singleplayer story-driven games on PS5
- The Vex are coming in Destiny 2 Shadowkeep's Season of the Undying
- PS4 gets exclusive Modern Warfare 2v2 alpha access
- Death Stranding's fetus tank babies explained
- Fry's Electronics stores soon to close, seeing same fate as Toys'R'Us?
- z390 phantom gaming-itx/ac buzzing from mb
- ASUS ProArt PA34VC Review: Professional-Grade UltraWide Perfection
- Corsair HS35 Stereo Gaming Headset Review
- GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Xtreme (AMD X570) Motherboard Review
- ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (AMD X570) Motherboard Review
- Animoca secures deal with Versus Systems to drive in-game revenue and player engagement
- Viotek Launches LinQ Portable Touchscreen Monitors
- SK hynix Unveils 'Gold S31' Consumer Solid-State Drive on Amazon
- Final Assault coming to PSVR in Q4 2019
- Veteran Video Games Industry Leader Kate Edwards Joins Global Game Jam as Executive Director