After spending a good amount of time with the Archer A20, I can certainly say that while this unit is a good amount cheaper than the C5400 it gets its design from, it feels solid both physically and in use. I was able to use this unit in my own home network for a solid month and taking from that I had no issues with streaming, gaming or day to day browsing activities. Build quality is just as heavy as the C5400v1 we reviewed in October of 2016, or the v2 we looked at in September of 2017.
Taking from those two units its design, internally the Archer A20 takes a new route opting for the BCM4908 over the aging 4709 and new Wi-Fi chips with a 3x3 design over the C5400's 4x4 setup. This lowers costs marginally without sacrificing much in terms of real-world performance. As you can see from our charts the Archer A20 outperforms the C5400 in wired throughput and beats the v1 in wireless throughput by 200Mbps, the v2 does have a slight advantage over the A20 by 40Mbps.
As for the GUI, the addition of homecare is certainly a plus as it gives a basic foundation for both malware and anti-virus protection and the added intrusion monitors offer better peace of mind. The QoS functionality has been improved allowing for device and application priority to be configured and the parental controls are more customizable than ever.
Pricing is king and with the Archer A20, TPLink is offering tri-band functionality with its AC4000 platform for $169.99. the next closest comparable solution is the ASUS RT-Ac3200 at $199.99 followed by the TPLink C5400 at $215.99
The Bottom Line
Pricing is king and with the Archer A20, TPLink is offering tri-band functionality with its AC4000 platform for $169.99.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Full Xbox One backward compatibility list of games
- Mortal Kombat Movie is R-rated, will have BRUTAL fatalities
- Netflix slices out brutal suicide scene from 13 Reasons Why
- Twitch Streamers boycott themselves on Amazon's Prime Day
- If you cheat in Overwatch, Blizzard will shut down your game
- GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Master (AMD X570) Motherboard Review
- closing explorer.exe cause unstable mouse movement
- AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT benchmarked at 3440x1440
- AsRock H370M-ITX and RAID
- Thecus N12000 folder Permissions -
- HyperX Announces First Wireless Headset Under $100
- Asphalt 9: Legends starts the second lap of the ESL Mobile Open presented by AT&T
- Best Summer Job Ever? You Can Now Get Paid To Be A 'Gamesologist'
- Must Dash Amigos | Xbox Launch Delayed PC Date Announced
- Math Facts Mahjong - Educational game for learning math facts