While not as powerful as the new Core Duo CPU, Dothan based systems have proven to give better clock for clock performance than Netburst based CPU and with the ability to run at a far lower heat profile, it's a wonder why Dothan isn't a real desktop contender.
With the releases of the Core Duo, the price of Dothan based CPU's will start to fall, making them a desktop and even a HTPC contender to really consider.
While the Pentium M CPU is a good quality at stock, the MSI 915GM Speedster does have a few holes in the works - for instance, it lacks any overclocking features which tend to rule it out for the hardcore desktop user.
While you can do better for a desktop board especially for the enthusiast and gaming user, for a HTPC or a small quiet PC you will struggle to find something this good. With Firewire, Dual Gigabit LAN and the option of onboard or discrete graphics systems, you won't find much better for the Home Consumer.
Supports Dothan and Bannis Cores (Pentium-M or Celeron-M)
Good value as Pentium M CPU's decrease in price
DDR and DDR-2 memory support
Dual Gigabit LAN
4 SATA ports supporting RAID
UPDATED - Overclocking support added in latest BIOS
Optical SPDIF-Out audio port
If you stick to stock BIOS you will end up without overclocking
Slightly aged technology (such as no SATA-2 support)
Updated Rating - 8.5 out of 10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications]
- Page 3 [The Motherboard]
- Page 4 [BIOS and Overclocking]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test Systems and Sandra]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - PCMark05]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Video Encoding]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - 3DMark05]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Quake 4]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Far Cry]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Publishers should raise game prices, says analyst
- GIVEAWAY: OCZ TR200 3D BiCS FLASH SSDs thanks to Toshiba
- Death Stranding in playable state, progressing on schedule
- Battlefront II almost had entirely cosmetic lootboxes
- Cyberpunk 2077 should have online elements
- Intel 15.X series Raid Rom compatible with X99??
- Intel Optane SSD 900P 280GB & 480GB AIC NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- p8z77-v Deluxe won't boot after new install of Win 10
- Secretlab OMEGA 2018 gaming chair: the new king is here
- NVIDIA TITAN Xp Star Wars Collector's Edition Unboxed
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series
- ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces Swift PG27VQ