Navi GPU Detailed
RDNA is at the heart of the new Navi GPU architecture, which delivers improvements at virtually all levels over the Polaris and Vega GPU architectures. The main component here is the 7nm process, mixed in with the use of GDDR6 memory (over HBM2 on Vega) as well as the huge step into PCIe 4.0 technology.
We can expect some big wins here with power and performance, with AMD tapping some of the knowledge it discovered with the Zen CPU architecture inside of Navi and RDNA.
This is the big difference between RDNA and the GCN (GraphicsCore Next) architectures, with AMD promising up to 50% performance gains -- breaking this up into around 60% performance-per-clock enhancements, 25% of it from the new 7nm node, and the rest in design frequency and power improvements.
AMD compares the new Navi 10 GPU directly against the Vega 10 used in the Radeon RX Vega 64 showing a 14% increase in performance, while using 23% less power. Vega 64 had a huge 495mm2 die while the new Navi 10 is on 7nm and using just 251mm2 in comparison. Overall, we're looking at a huge 2.3x increase in performance per area.
Don't worry, it isn't just going to be RDNA as RDNA is coming in 2020 on 7nm+.
PCI Express 4.0
AMD's new Ryzen 3000 series CPUs have been made with the new X570 chipset in mind, the first to market with PCIe 4.0 -- and the new Radeon RX 5700 series graphics cards are the first to market with PCIe 4.0 support. There is no gaming benefits right now, as PCIe 4.0 is more for storage and high-end tasks on GPUs that are bandwidth restrained. Gamers don't need to really care about PCIe 4.0, for now.
Last updated: Nov 15, 2019 at 01:16 pm CST
- Page 1 [Introduction & Pricing]
- Page 2 [Specs: RDNA Powers Navi GPU Architecture]
- Page 3 [Specs: Navi GPU + 7nm Node + PCIe 4.0]
- Page 4 [Specs Compare: Radeon RX 5700 XT vs RX 5700]
- Page 5 [Cooling Tech: Radeon RX 5700 XT vs RX 5700]
- Page 6 [Detailed Look: Radeon RX 5700 XT vs RX 5700]
- Page 7 [Test System Specs]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Synthetic]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - 1080p]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - 1440p]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - 4K]
- Page 12 [Thermals, Power & Noise]
- Page 13 [Overclocking]
- Page 14 [Performance Thoughts]
- Page 15 [What's Hot, What's Not]
- Page 16 [Final Thoughts]