At its heart, Mortal Kombat 11 is a fantastic explosion of nostalgia, fun, and absolute stylish chaos the series if known for. All of the beats are present--a deep, winding storyline infused with a surprisingly complex lore, the old-school WWE-style soap opera antics, and the machismo that captured an entire generation.
The fighters are all extremely well designed, and the new faces--Geras, Cetrion, and Kollector to name a few--jump right in as if they've always been a part of the show. That intense magnetism that's pulled us in for the past 27 years is present, as is the bloody, thrilling magic of a fight to the death. There are a few dips this time around with progression and a severe grind, but these features could be welcome for hardcore fans that aim to spend lots and lots of time with this iteration.
+ Combat is visceral, smooth, and satisfying
+ The story fantastically blends 27 years of history with present lore
+ Visuals, cinematics, and graphics are incredible
+ Practice mode is amazing
+ Character roster is great
+ Massive amounts of customization options
- Absolutely terrible grind mechanics ensure the game lives on, but also becomes a meticulous time sink
- Randomized Krypt rewards
- Towers of Time can only be played online
- Microtransactions don't really need to be in the game
Last updated: Sep 24, 2019 at 12:29 am CDT
The Bottom Line
Mortal Kombat 11 is a must-have for any MK fan, offering a great story with brutal combat. It comes with a huge time sink grind, though.
- Page 1 [Story: Let's do the Time Warp Again]
- Page 2 [Kombat/Progression: Brutal, Satisfying and Extremely Grindy]
- Page 3 [Final Thoughts and Score]