As we mentioned, there are some workloads where the extra overprovisioning allows the 3.84TB 883 DCT to outperform the other capacities in the series. The database test is one example where the performance stair steps with the capacity.
The OLTP workload is similar to the database workload. The blocks double in size and that allows the performance to double with most SSDs. The 883 DCT SATA SSDs perform very well in this test. At higher OIO, the 883 DCT drives nearly triple the performance of the Seagate Nytro 1351.
The email workload test shows a familiar story that seems to repeat in this review. The Samsung 883 DCT SSDs perform flawlessly with fairly predictable cadence between the capacities. The largest size, 3.84TB, has a slight edge over the others and all three sizes outperform the Nytro 1351 by a sizable margin.
The archive test doesn't have the providence like the other tests. It wasn't embedded in the older Iometer suite but it does have credibility. The test comes from Dell's performance lab and is one of my favorite tests because it mixes reads and writes, block sizes, and sequential with random data. This test shows us what it's like to run multiple workloads on the same drive or a general file server role.
None of the drives delivers consistent performance here, and it's not just the products in this test. Even the Intel Optane SSDs and Samsung 983 ZET (Z-NAND) SSDs have a difficult time taming this workload.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Bungie: Activision let us do awesome things with Destiny
- Disney+ includes free 4K streaming, supports 4 simultaneous streams
- Bandai Namco: Epic Store exclusivity isn't our vision
- El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie announced, drops October 11 on Netflix
- The best destruction physics in a game EVER, also features ray tracing
- Lian Li TU150 Mini-ITX Chassis Review
- SteelSeries Arctis 9X Wireless Headset Review
- Seagate Gears 5TB Game Drive Review
- TRENDnet USB-C 2.5Gbe Network Adapter Review
- Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe M.2 SSD Review
- Snooker 19, the first official snooker game in a generation, is out now on Nintendo Switch
- Ultimate Fishing Simulator VR will debut in August
- Leyou Technologies Announces 2019 Interim Results
- Thermaltake A700 Aluminum Tempered Glass Edition Full Tower Chassis Now Available Simplicity Creates Its Own Path
- 2019 Thermaltake CaseMOD Invitational Season 2 Brings Twelve Top Modders Worldwide Together for the New Creation of the Core P5 V2 Chassis Battle for the Best