DFI has made a name for itself in overclocking circles with its nForce 4 offerings for AMD Athlon 64, and once again they have moved into overclocking for AMD through this board.
Under the Genie BIOS menu are the overclocking options as well as some sub menu's to control the PCI Express bus, LDT (Hyper Transport) multipliers as well as advanced DRAM control features such at the CAS and all the other goodies you can tweak.
Under the main Genie BIOS menu you find the bulk of the overclocking.
DFI offers the most robust FSB adjustments of any board with a minimum of 200MHz to a maximum of 500MHz in 1MHz increments. While we haven't been able to break 400MHz yet, if we are able to in the future, this board is ready to go even higher.
The Hammer FID control allows you to change your CPU multiplier. You can change the settings from 4.0x up to a max of 25x in 0.5x increments. Setting a multiplier higher than your CPU's default (unless you own a FX series) will result in the system booting from the default multiplier, however, all CPU's allow you to change the multiplier down all the way to the 4x limit.
DFI provides a plethora of power to the board. You have the ability to change CPU, DRAM, Northbridge, Southbridge and LDT voltages with a varying scale. CPU voltage can be set from 0.8v up to a max of 1.75v is you use the special CPU voltage option.
DRAM voltage is the highlight of the power settings; you can adjust this from 2.6v up to a max of 4.15v in 0.05v increments. We have never seen a board allow this much DRAM voltage and we aren't likely to again with DDR-2 for the AMD platform coming soon with AM2. If you want to go this high, make sure your RAM has LN2 cooling!
While ATI states that you don't need to increase the Northbridge voltages, DFI has simply stuck their fingers in their ears and gone "la la la..." as there are two separate Northbridge voltages - one is called Northbridge analogue voltage and one is Northbridge core voltage.
We managed to push the motherboard to a maximum overclock of 362MHz FSB with the CPU at 4x, HTT link at 3x, CPU voltage at 1.6v, DRAM at 3.0v and the other voltages untouched. We have reviewed several Radeon Xpress 3200 based motherboards so far and the DFI LANParty UT CFX3200-DR has provided us with the best overclocking result.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications]
- Page 3 [The Box - Inside and Out]
- Page 4 [The Motherboard]
- Page 5 [Overclocking]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Sandra]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark05]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - 3DMark05]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Quake 4]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Far Cry]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Resident Evil 2 Remake demo impressions
- Ghostbusters 3 set for Summer 2020, teaser trailer released
- EA cancelled new Star Wars game to work on smaller project
- Far Cry New Dawn official PC requirements released
- 2K and NBA to smooth over $1b rights extension deal
- HP EX950 SSD Review - When you want the fastest
- Pcie M.2 NVMe (1100mb/s as storage, 400mb/s in os)
- DC: Aquaman Cinema Review
- ADATA SX8200 Pro 256GB NVMe SSD Review
- Problem with RAM Overclock
- Nokia's Service Operations Center powers Telefonica UK's drive towards customer-centric operations
- Black Desert Online's Battle Royale mode enters Early Access today
- Roblox hires British online safety expert Laura Higgins to lead new digital civility initiative
- HyperX Announces 2019 We're All Gamers Ad Campaign Including Celebrity Influencers Post Malone, Gordon Hayward, Joel Embiid, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Pokimane, Shroud, Daigo, De'Aaron Fox and Rush
- Macrotis: A Mother's Journey Releases this upcoming February 8th!