Tons of features: The Phantom Gaming 9 has a serious number of features, including all platform features and those expanded upon by hubs. ASRock added in an extra SATA controller for two more ports, a hub so there are two internal USB 3.0 headers, and that's on top of the four NICs the motherboard has.
Networking: Many people probably will want multi-GBit networking, but might not want to pay the premium for one of the Aquantia NICs, and for those people the Realtek 2.5G Gaming NIC might be the perfect match. You also get Intel Gbit LAN and WIFI as a backup.
Solid VRM: ASRock's VRM on this motherboard has been upgraded from the Z370 Taichi through the use of Texas Instruments NexFETs over those other lower speced units from Sinopower or Fairchild. We see some of these Sinopower MOSFETs used in the memory VRM, but that's fine. The VRM heat sink seems to do a solid job as per VRM thermal testing.
None: I couldn't find too many problems with the motherboard.
In the past, the Professional Gaming i9 series was the top of the line motherboard ASRock had to offer. However, ASRock must have realized that most gamers were buying Taichi's instead and decided to switch the roles of the Gaming i9 while re-branding it to not confuse buyers.
We are here to say that ASRock's offering is pretty solid, and offers better LAN than the Taichi. Overall, the product is a great value, and if you are in the market for a solid motherboard, you should give it a look, especially if you don't want to dish out a lot for an Aquantia NIC, but still want multi-Gbit LAN.
Last updated: Nov 15, 2019 at 01:16 pm CST
The Bottom Line
The Z390 Phantom Gaming 9 is a top notch motherboard with an excellent feature-set at a reasonable price.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and Z390 Phantom Gaming 9 Overview]
- Page 3 [ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 9 Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 9 Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]